New Mexico Elk Hunt companion

if I draw a elk tag in New Mexico can I bring a friend and what will that person be allowed to do and not do without a tag

Gerbdog

WKR
I'd just bring your dog, they'll never just give up and whine about the hiking, they dont require any extra gear, and they're probably just gonna scare off as many elk as any other buddy you bring. Best companion! haha

Seriously though you can bring a friend, many friends, no friends, family, brothers, sisters, mothers, whoever you want on your hunt. They CANNOT shoot your animal for you, and i sure as heck wouldnt even let them hold your hunting weapon of choice while your in the field, game wardens have a hard time telling who's hunting and who's not in those situations when theyre looking at you through binos. If your bringing a companion: make sure they're in shape, can bring and carry their own pack and camp materials, can help you pack out meat, and start harping on them now to work on their calling and elk hunting skills. It's worth noting that more folks in the field with you means more movement and noise that animals will detect, there are tradeoffs to companions vs solo.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
Check the regs but I believe at least on state trust land there’s a limit to the number of non-tag-holders that can be with you (4?).

OP
C
All great answers and good advice I appreciate it thank you. Let me run my logic by you and see what you guys think this will be the third year that me and my hunting partner have applied in New Mexico for various elk hunts (both non-residents) on 1 application our thought is separating our application and putting in two separate applications with the agreement that we would accompany each other on the hunt if one of us draws would increase our odds of drawing a tag?

Gerbdog

WKR
All great answers and good advice I appreciate it thank you. Let me run my logic by you and see what you guys think this will be the third year that me and my hunting partner have applied in New Mexico for various elk hunts (both non-residents) on 1 application our thought is separating our application and putting in two separate applications with the agreement that we would accompany each other on the hunt if one of us draws would increase our odds of drawing a tag?
Well i decided to do some research, because i was curious after you asked the question, and according to TopRut on their NM draw odds... if you buy into such things:

"Applying as a group in New Mexico will decrease your chances in the draw."

a link to the article is here:

So if you believe things you read on the internet about hunting.... i would split apart your applications and help each other out if either one of you draws. Remember to make sure you put the hardest to draw unit as your first choice and your easiest to draw unit as your 3rd choice.

Putting in as a party of two only hurts your odds if your name is pulled and only one tag is left. On the flip side your odds are greater that one of you get drawn when putting in separate as there’s now two names in the hat changing the odds. Are you putting in the outfitter pool?

OP
C
Putting in as a party of two only hurts your odds if your name is pulled and only one tag is left. On the flip side your odds are greater that one of you get drawn when putting in separate as there’s now two names in the hat changing the odds. Are you putting in the outfitter pool?
Thanks and no was not planning on hiring 1 $$$

Not many tags available for diy guys, 100 tag unit only allows a maximum of 6 tags for diy non residents. The way the tags are allocated there is no minimum for non residents so every tag could essentially be drawn by residents. We put in For New Mexico every year with a outfitter to you our odds. Putting in with my dad this year, if we don’t draw I’m going to surprise him with a landowner tag either this year or next.

CMF

WKR
You will definitely increase your odds separately since many units only have a few tags. I think it depends on your whole elk hunting strategy though. You could definitely fill two tags in some areas. I would rather have two tags, so last year I put in with a buddy(archery), put the wife in separate on muzzy/rifle hunts. Struck out, and we all three went to CO(archery) with two leftover tags.
You just need to make sure there more than two tags in the units applying for. If separate, with their random draw, one of you might draw twice and the other never draw.

OP
C
You will definitely increase your odds separately since many units only have a few tags. I think it depends on your whole elk hunting strategy though. You could definitely fill two tags in some areas. I would rather have two tags, so last year I put in with a buddy(archery), put the wife in separate on muzzy/rifle hunts. Struck out, and we all three went to CO(archery) with two leftover tags.
You just need to make sure there more than two tags in the units applying for. If separate, with their random draw, one of you might draw twice and the other never draw.
How did the Colorado archery hunt go? Any success? If I continue to be unsuccessful in New Mexico draw I’m considering Colorado, Wyoming or Idaho with either excess tags or over-the-counter tags

OP
C
My first two hunt choices only have nine nonresident rifle tags available my third choice is a muzzleloader hunt with 15 nonresident tagged available still seems pretty slim whether we go in together or if we separate so I have to weigh out my options going together gives us the opportunity to receive two tags going separately doubles our chances of drawing a single tag I thank all you guys for your advice!

OP
C
Not many tags available for diy guys, 100 tag unit only allows a maximum of 6 tags for diy non residents. The way the tags are allocated there is no minimum for non residents so every tag could essentially be drawn by residents. We put in For New Mexico every year with a outfitter to you our odds. Putting in with my dad this year, if we don’t draw I’m going to surprise him with a landowner tag either this year or next.
Correct me if I’m wrong but the way I understand the draw that 6% of the total available tags are set aside for non-residents 84% for residence and 10% for outfitters as they go through the draw when they reach their quota for each group they stop issuing permits for that group

Correct me if I’m wrong but the way I understand the draw that 6% of the total available tags are set aside for non-residents 84% for residence and 10% for outfitters as they go through the draw when they reach their quota for each group they stop issuing permits for that group
Correct, those “quotas” are maximums for the outfitter pool and the diy, every single tag could go to resident unguided though