New Mexico Elk Hunt Opinions?

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
Howdy guys,

I'm looking at these 3 hunts as options to put in for in NM as a non-resident this year. If anyone here has hunted one of these hunts and/or has an opinion on quality of hunt, that would be much appreciated. I'm aware of the draw odds of each.

Here are the options that I'm looking at.
Unit 17 Second Season Muzzy (Oct 19-23)
Unit 17 Third Season Muzzy (Nov 16-20)
Unit 16B Second Season Rifle (Oct 19-23)

I've spent some time in 17, but always earlier in the year than these dates. I have no first hand experience with 16B, but have some buddies who have archery hunted it.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

jonny5

hunting1

WKR
They are both great units, but 17 to just show up you may have some issuesfinding elk. 16B is all wilderness with great elk. Are you looking for giants, experience, tell me and I will try and help. As you know the odds stink unguided for those units, but glad to see you are in! Many stopped trying with the new laws, but hey, someone has to draw.

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
hunting1, thanks for the reply!

I actually hunted 17 during the first muzzy season last year and had a blast. Steep, deep and rugged...just the way I enjoy hunting. Looking at these for my 2nd or 3rd choices on the 'ol application. Any thoughts you have would be awesome.

Thanks,

jonny5

hunting1

WKR
Well, since you know what the country islike I would say go for it! The bulls will be harder to find possibly, but alot will depend on weather, moisture, etc. It is some cool country. Not sure if you hav seen On Your OwnAdventures where Randy kills that nice bull archery. Lots of open land with high pine mixxed in. The 20th is the deadline, good luck!

OP
jonny5

jonny5

Lil-Rokslider
thanks hunting1...I think I'll go that route and cross my fingers!

jonny5