New Mexico Elk land owner tags cost

TravKatQ

WKR
Looking at picking up a NM elk landowner tag for any of the 16 units or unit 17 this year if the price is right...does anyone know or regularly buy landowner tags from a reputable outfit or person? And what the cost looks like? Thanks in advance and feel free to PM. -Travis Stone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6-10k for those units wide tags. Occasionally you will find one for less last minute, but I suspect they go up a lot with N.M’s clarification on resident tag allocation

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Crazy how much prices have gone up, my dad used to work with a guy who would give us a few each year and sell the others for 2-3k....that was 20 years ago though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every time this discussion comes up it blows my mind. 15k to hunt a bull elk. What a horrible system we’ve built in this state.

It's not just NM. Any time you have quality elk units, limited tags, and a whole lot of demand.......the prices will be high, just as with any limited commodity.

In CO, vouchers that cost $3-4k now could be had for $400 just 10 years ago. And the more limited they make it, the higher they go.

dtrkyman

WKR
I bought a tag in 2015 for 1k, not a trophy unit, still have the contact but he never answers his phone.

Keep in mind once you purchase the voucher you still need to go to game and fish and pay for the tag!!!

Reactions: WBT

Buddro

FNG
So your view is that their contribution to the population in terms of feed for the elk (in this case) that graze on their property doesn't entitle them to a portion of the harvest?

Couldn't find in a quick search and don't have time for a more extended search but does anyone have numbers for how many land owner tags are issued? Looks like its done by percentage of land in a given unit owned privately which seems to make total since to me. They own .5 percent of the land in the unit they should get .5 percent of the harvest for animals that ate their feed should they not?

Especially bearing in mind that the hunters using these land owner tags still have to compensate the public at whatever rate to harvest the animal in that they have to buy a permit still

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
I could not give tag away 10 yrs ago,now they MB go for $5k+ here in my unit. 60% private,40% public lands.
G&F cut LO here tags in half 4 yrs ago . Whole program has been retrofitted,now ranches have to meet a grade to qualify.
60% of tags go to draw now. 3 times the draw tags of 2 years ago. Could not even draw a cow tag and probably won't get a LO tag for ranch even tho I more than qualify.....

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When you make a good contact.Use your head and keep it.Develop friendships.

I had that at one time.....in CO. Then one year I called him up and asked if he got any tags. He said "sure".........."but some guy offered me $9k, so I took it". I can't blame him, $$$ talks louder than relationships.

BuzzH

WKR
So your view is that their contribution to the population in terms of feed for the elk (in this case) that graze on their property doesn't entitle them to a portion of the harvest?

Couldn't find in a quick search and don't have time for a more extended search but does anyone have numbers for how many land owner tags are issued? Looks like its done by percentage of land in a given unit owned privately which seems to make total since to me. They own .5 percent of the land in the unit they should get .5 percent of the harvest for animals that ate their feed should they not?

Especially bearing in mind that the hunters using these land owner tags still have to compensate the public at whatever rate to harvest the animal in that they have to buy a permit still

Yes, that's my view. Land ownership and wildlife ownership are mutually exclusive. Landowners are only "entitled" to the wildlife that the public allows them to take.

If I were a resident of NM I'd be advocating to make massive changes to the current LO tag program...top of the list would be to make LO tags nontransferable except to immediate family. Second would be making it illegal for any person to barter or sell a LO tag, even to a family member.

BuzzH

WKR
I had that at one time.....in CO. Then one year I called him up and asked if he got any tags. He said "sure".........."but some guy offered me $9k, so I took it". I can't blame him, $$$ talks louder than relationships.

Yep...happens all the time.