New Mexico Elk Unit 34 Muzzleloader

Jaeger62

FNG
We have a lot of 280-300" bulls. Its not a unit that produces a bunch of giant bulls. They are around but not super common like some parts of NM.
I'd honestly probably be awful thrilled with something in the 280-300" range. This would be my very first bull elk, so I'm not spoiled yet.

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I will be holding out for a 330+ bull, but also fine if I don't shoot one. I'll be there for 3+ weeks and then I have an AZ archery tag after so I will be picky. This will be mostly about getting my son a good bull. He'll probably shoot the first decent 6 point he sees. He held out last year in AZ for a giant and ate his tag. He has no regrets about that, but he's ready to lower the bar on this hunt.
I only have 4.5 days to hunt so the first nice bull (280 or better) I see within range will be going home with me.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
I only have 4.5 days to hunt so the first nice bull (280 or better) I see within range will be going home with me.

I would do the same in your boat. I've been doing this a long time.... I will be in NM the 3rd week of August, at least a week before the season starts, then the entire 14 days of the season. Then a couple weeks in AZ for my elk hunt there. Then headed to CO to scout a few weeks before my deer hunt and sons OTC elk hunt. Point is, I can spend the entire fall in the mountains so I get to be a little more selective. Probably why I don't have a wife! :)

mproberts

WKR
I would do the same in your boat. I've been doing this a long time.... I will be in NM the 3rd week of August, at least a week before the season starts, then the entire 14 days of the season. Then a couple weeks in AZ for my elk hunt there. Then headed to CO to scout a few weeks before my deer hunt and sons OTC elk hunt. Point is, I can spend the entire fall in the mountains so I get to be a little more selective. Probably why I don't have a wife! :)
Serious question... do you have a job? if so what is it that allows that much time off?

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Serious question... do you have a job? if so what is it that allows that much time off?

I have worked remotely for more than 2 decades. As long as I have a cell signal or wifi I can work from anywhere in the world. With that said I also have many weeks a year of pto so I usually take a few during hunting season. Normal MO is to live/work remotely while scouting and maybe part of a season, hunting in the morning and evening, working during the day and then take time off when I am going into the backcountry or wanting to hunt non stop.

FYI I'm a software engineer.

This year my son is going off to college so I will be on the road at least end of August until Mid November.

Gila

WKR
Pray or dance for rain. Unit 34 had more rain than we did but still not much at all. This coming week we have a chance for some rain.

Jaeger62

FNG
Pray or dance for rain. Unit 34 had more rain than we did but still not much at all. This coming week we have a chance for some rain.
Yeah, it's bad out there. I don't know about the northern part of the Unit, but down south by Timberon is awful dry. The ranchers I know have been having to haul water by truck to water their cattle on their Federal grazing lease.

Gila

WKR
Yeah, it's bad out there. I don't know about the northern part of the Unit, but down south by Timberon is awful dry. The ranchers I know have been having to haul water by truck to water their cattle on their Federal grazing lease.
It was that one front that went across the entire state that gave us a little moisture. We had a dry tornado. More like a large dust devil. I was in the barn and everything shook. I looked out the door and debris was going straight up. It pulled the cap off the roof of the barn. I found it over on the other side of the place later. With all of this dry wind the static electricity is very high. A fire could start anytime, anywhere, and there is no way to stop it.

Last year it was very dry going into October. They lifted the fire restrictions in the Gila so I could use my wood stove. I don’t know if Lincoln ever lifted the restrictions last fall. In the area I hunted last year not many tanks had any water. Hopefully we see a good monsoon later on this summer. Last year there wasn’t much of one. Water has always been the primary factor for elk in the Southern units. 34,36 have had some high calf recruitment over the last few or so years. It isn’t looking good for this spring but elk are resilient creatures.

I see more solar wells on BLM and forest lands every year. There are a few in unit 34 but not many. Not enough really. The Rio Grande ain’t so grand this year. They had fair snow pack in the Northern units but they need to irrigate for hay so the river will be empty soon. The price of hay is going up when you can get it. On the open range the cattle have nothing to graze on and they are busting down fences to get to water.

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
It was that one front that went across the entire state that gave us a little moisture. We had a dry tornado. More like a large dust devil. I was in the barn and everything shook. I looked out the door and debris was going straight up. It pulled the cap off the roof of the barn. I found it over on the other side of the place later. With all of this dry wind the static electricity is very high. A fire could start anytime, anywhere, and there is no way to stop it.

Last year it was very dry going into October. They lifted the fire restrictions in the Gila so I could use my wood stove. I don’t know if Lincoln ever lifted the restrictions last fall. In the area I hunted last year not many tanks had any water. Hopefully we see a good monsoon later on this summer. Last year there wasn’t much of one. Water has always been the primary factor for elk in the Southern units. 34,36 have had some high calf recruitment over the last few or so years. It isn’t looking good for this spring but elk are resilient creatures.

I see more solar wells on BLM and forest lands every year. There are a few in unit 34 but not many. Not enough really. The Rio Grande ain’t so grand this year. They had fair snow pack in the Northern units but they need to irrigate for hay so the river will be empty soon. The price of hay is going up when you can get it. On the open range the cattle have nothing to graze on and they are busting down fences to get to water.
Will the solar tanks have water all year? Thanks for the information.

Gila

WKR
Will the solar tanks have water all year? Thanks for the information.
Yes, they do. There are also a couple of trick tanks on some springs that are wet all year. BLM as well as NF lands are leased for cattle and the ranchers will put out tanks if they have to. We typically get the monsoons down here in August, September. We will have a better idea of the water situation then.

OP
D

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, they do. There are also a couple of trick tanks on some springs that are wet all year. BLM as well as NF lands are leased for cattle and the ranchers will put out tanks if they have to. We typically get the monsoons down here in August, September. We will have a better idea of the water situation then.
Thankyou

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you find a good one! There will be a couple less top end bulls for you after my son and I get done in there during archery season ;)

Well my son met his goal of a good 6 point and I met mine of a 340+ bull ;) Looked over a lot of bulls. Never seen so many 5 points in my life. I didn't even carry my bow for the 1st 8 days so I could concentrate on finding a bull my son wanted. I shot mine 30 minutes into my hunt. He went 343 1/2" I think what most say about the unit is true. Lots of average bulls, but if you can pass over lots of small mature bulls I think there are a few good ones in there ;)

ian elk.jpg

20210908_150829.jpg

Jaeger62

FNG
Goodness. Those are two great bulls! I would be ecstatic to end up with anything close to those bulls next month.

Congrats!

Cohunter9

FNG
Ive see quite a few post hunt while looking for sheep. theyre are everywhere. Dont overlook the desert, and the canyons at the edge of desert and PJ country

Just found out after 10 years of trying I drew a New Mexico Elk Muzzleloader tag in Unit 34. Oct 16-20. If anyone has any info to share wiith me on this unit I would really appreciate it. Of course I will call the warden and biologist but have had good lick on this sight with hard to draw areas. You can PM me or call me at 712-292-0699. Thanks for any help. Dan
how did Your hunt go? I’m headed up to unit 34 for cow elk hunt in December for my son’s first big game hunt.