New Mexico Elk units

Yes, this is one of those posts related to units. I'm getting (back) into applications in NM. One of the species is elk and I know as a NR DIY, the odds are not that good. I'm not looking for the premier units (such as the Gila), those are easy enough to figure out, but for the second tier units where the draw odds are a bit better and the potential for a bull is still good with good public access. If you don't want to splatter your opinions across the web, feel free to shoot me a message.

Thanks all

fatlander

WKR
There’s not a single unit in New Mexico with a decent opportunity on public land that has greater than 10% draw odds for an archery tag. It’s mind boggling how terrible the odds have gotten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guylaga

Lil-Rokslider
Applying in NM as a NR and especially as a DIY NR is akin to playing the lottery. Your odds are terrible, and probably will never win.

I keep applying only because I can drive 4-5 hrs and be in some primo units, maybe one year I will get lucky. But I'm not holding my breath.

Might apply this year for elk archery or muzzy, would be my first time applying in NM. with no points in NM I almost feel my odds are better there than here in my home state of WA.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Might apply this year for elk archery or muzzy, would be my first time applying in NM. with no points in NM I almost feel my odds are better there than here in my home state of WA.
NM doesn’t have points. Just a straight up lottery every year, and the odds continually get worse.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, this is one of those posts related to units. I'm getting (back) into applications in NM. One of the species is elk and I know as a NR DIY, the odds are not that good. I'm not looking for the premier units (such as the Gila), those are easy enough to figure out, but for the second tier units where the draw odds are a bit better and the potential for a bull is still good with good public access. If you don't want to splatter your opinions across the web, feel free to shoot me a message.

Thanks all
Saying the odds are “not that good” is an understatement. Unless you’re willing to do a December bow hunt, or dish out the cash for a landowner permit, you’re literally playing the powerball. Even if you apply for a December hunt for your first option, you’re still not going to hit 50% draw odds most likely.

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
How are the middle tier units draw for residents? Looking at the statistics it appears units in public land have an average draw success. I agree with less than 6% of the nonresident tag allocation would make for a difficult.

OP
H
Ya, looking at the number of tags and the 6% NR DIY cap, the odds are not very good. I just wanted to toss this out there to make sure I wasn't missing something. Also, the holding of the full tag price till the drawing is not that appealing as well. Thanks for the insight and the snarky remarks.

Ya, looking at the number of tags and the 6% NR DIY cap, the odds are not very good. I just wanted to toss this out there to make sure I wasn't missing something. Also, the holding of the full tag price till the drawing is not that appealing as well. Thanks for the insight and the snarky remarks.
FWIW...NM holds your money 3 months less than WY....

Think about this. 1st rifle for the Gila, they give out 75 tags. 7 tags going to NR outfitter pool. 4 tags going to NR DIYer hunts. 64 tags going to NM residents. Soooo, you really think you're going to draw ???

and yes, I put in for OTC unit 70 in Colorado. Good public land at 9000 feet.

Think about this. 1st rifle for the Gila, they give out 75 tags. 7 tags going to NR outfitter pool. 4 tags going to NR DIYer hunts. 64 tags going to NM residents. Soooo, you really think you're going to draw ???

and yes, I put in for OTC unit 70 in Colorado. Good public land at 9000 feet.
No. You aren't. Don't put in.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk