New Mexico Elk?

Rail505

FNG
Hi, new to hunting. So new in fact i have never even set up a tent.
A lot of hunting shows, threads online and people i hear talking about hunting in the line at the convenience store say how New Mexico Elk are some of the best there is in the US. Usually this state ranks pretty much dead last in terms of everything else such as jobs, economy, taxes, crime etc etc. Those of you that have experience hunting multiple states. Is the few thousand dollars cost of a NM elk tag really worth it? Saving up/ buying all the gear i need to hopefully have my first hunt next year.

hunting1

WKR
Not sure exactly what you are asking but I’ll try and answer. NM is one of the most amazing states and if you have a skill or education you can earn a great living.

There is so much outdoor activities here, no short falls here. Hunting is amazing and lots of opportunities.

We do have poverty, bad schools, but $$$$ for $$$ you can’t beat college here and a lot of successful people come from APS.

I blame much of the issues here on years and years of liberal politics.

I say You would be crazy to pass on a chance to hunt here. Heck, just come and back pack and trout fish!

Felix40

WKR
Are you asking if a landowner tag is worth the cost or are you asking if NM is a good place to move to?

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
I had the opportunity to elk hunt in NM this year and it was amazing! There are upsides and downsides to hunting with regards to the draw though and they are one and the same. There are no over the counter elk tags so you never are guaranteed to draw one. That being said, because it is a lottery and not points, there is always a chance that you could draw each year even for great units and if you don't they refund you the bulk of what you paid.

jburman

FNG
New Mexico Elk are definitely worth it. Yes the state has more than it's share of social and economic issues, but speaking as someone who has lived all over the country, including 3 winters inside Yellowstone NP, the northern mountains are some of the most beautiful areas I have had the privilege to live and hunt in. Bring your fly rod (or small spinners) and take a few extra days to go trout fishing on either end of your hunt.

Pecosray

FNG
Question from out of state hunter... my son and I are headed to the southern area of Lincoln Nat. Forest for a scouting & Hiking trip, We both scored ZERO Tags this year but we decided go anyway and work on glassing skills ETC. Should I pick up a bear tag this late in the season and hope to get lucky, or am I fooling myself thinking that I might have a chance....

bradyhunt

FNG
Question from out of state hunter... my son and I are headed to the southern area of Lincoln Nat. Forest for a scouting & Hiking trip, We both scored ZERO Tags this year but we decided go anyway and work on glassing skills ETC. Should I pick up a bear tag this late in the season and hope to get lucky, or am I fooling myself thinking that I might have a chance....
Should still have plenty of opportunity to turn up a bear. Might as well have it in your pack to add a little motivation.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I drew a couple of unbelievable Elk tags in NM, back-to-back, in 2005 & 2006. We both shot 6x6's in the Valle Vidal, and then both shot 6x7's in the Gila. The Valle Vidal is probably my best out of state hunt ever!

Our tags were lottery tags, not land-owner. As far as Elk hunting is concerned, its a GREAT state.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
NM is bull elk NIRVANA!
Had the opportunity to hunt elk 2x, successful as DIY. But since new regulations AGAINST non-resident hunters put into place, haven't drawn a tag in 7+ years. Hurts is the last 3 years I'd had all the time needed for a hunt, being retired.

starting to think that buying a landowner tag.
maybe my best chance to hunt NM elk again while my age allows it.

My entire hunting experience has been DIY. Only 1x booked a Colorado guided/horse pack trip. The young guide in my camp, rather a ranch wrangler, left much to his imagination. The main guide/outfitter was working with another group in another camp 3 miles away. Heck, I knew more about elk hunting than the young wrangler did.
Left me solo on 3rd day to guide 2 rifle hunters in our camp. Took my bull that day, solo with assistance from a camp horse. The look on their faces that early evening as I walked into camp, leading a horse with 2 rear elk quarters and bull's head packed on!

If you’re talking about the queen area, we were just up there scouting for my sons mule deer hunt. Bear scat everywhere. Haven’t seen any but I think it would be worth having a tag.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Should still have plenty of opportunity to turn up a bear. Might as well have it in your pack to add a little motivation.
During my 2nd NM elk hunt I did have a good sized bear run through a herd of elk and blow them all out except the bull. My buddy ended up shooting that bull. So...I would suggest buying a bear tag.

Attachments

• 2006_1019Image0050.JPG
    2006_1019Image0050.JPG
    497.6 KB · Views: 19