New Mexico first season archery rut elk hunt. Let’s chat

OP
L
I scouted the last week of first archery and hunted second archery last year. It seemed a lot easier to elk to respond to calls in first season. They seemed to herd up right around the start of second season.
Why I’m a big fan of fate first hunt usually first 5-6 days are tough but the last 7-8 days of the first archery is usually the beginning to the rut fest. All the big bulls aren’t herded with cows and can make for a opportunity at a big one more likely

OP
L
I will be hunting New Mexico for the first time. First season archery unit 17. I've heard it is a good unit.
Been to 17 multiple times on muzzleloader hunts. Seen some nice bulls over the years. Good luck sure you will be just fine

Gapmaster

WKR
Heads up;

I Hunting a mediocre unit in northern New Mexico last year and we ran into two seprrate groups of guys that had their camps completely stolen, one guy lost thousands of dollars worth of nice gear.

Granted the unit we hunted is a very depressed area where poaching is just a way to put food on the table.... which doesnt help the hunting either.

I don’t know what a guy can do to protect his camp while he’s away but just be advised.

—-
Sounds like 6a.. We had problems in there years ago. Some locals seemed to be scouting out camps and were causing some trouble. You’re right about there being some depressed areas.

Link_OH

FNG
I have been to 51 and 52 in last few years... always first season.... both times I was there it was pretty quiet although did hear of some hearing bugles. Was fortunate enough to get a 5x5 first time out in 51 and nearly got a bigger one following year in 52. Great units to hunt! Wish I could get back, just can't hit the draw.:cry:

Any issues like that in 53?

I hunted it last year second archery. No issues at all. Even parked on the highway by red river and hiked up behind Bobcat pass for 3 days.
Ran into 2 guys on their way out and that was it. Get in there and you wont see a soul.

Attachments

• 20190916_172442.jpg
    20190916_172442.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 78

TBarron

WKR
I drew unit 48 second archery. It was my 3rd choice, but still stoked that I have a tag. Anyone have any experience hunting this unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATL-Kyle

FNG
Things are tough all over. We are surrounded by red states because they opened too soon. Our governor was the health director so she has a clue of what to do. She has done a good job so far.

Elk numbers are up in 34. There is CWD there so watch the regs for what you can take out. Very dry this spring. There are a number of tricks on the springs. Problem is some of the springs dry up in August.All in all, I think you have a great chance for a great hunt....congrats on your draw.
I will be hunting elk for the first time this Fall in NM Unit 49 (Taos) second rifle. I have seen a few "trick tanks" scattered throughout the state and, being from georgia, am very unclear what exactly these are. I'm assuming they are water collection tanks to support wildlife in dry conditions. If that is the case, how reliable would you say they are in terms of spotting game? I feel like there will be an orange vest on every knoll around them if they concentrate game.

Gila

WKR
I will be hunting elk for the first time this Fall in NM Unit 49 (Taos) second rifle. I have seen a few "trick tanks" scattered throughout the state and, being from georgia, am very unclear what exactly these are. I'm assuming they are water collection tanks to support wildlife in dry conditions. If that is the case, how reliable would you say they are in terms of spotting game? I feel like there will be an orange vest on every knoll around them if they concentrate game.
Yes that is true...the spring tanks can concentrate hunters....the good thing is that there are not very many tags handed out for a unit in NM. The harder to get to water sources are where you will find the elk anyway. The bulls will be seeking sanctuary to rest and feed up before winter hits. Last year I hung a camera over a trick that was about 25 feet long and 5 feet wide. There was a wallow from the overflow. I filmed some cow elk, deer and a big bear which I tried to stick but didn't. It was first rifle but yup, I had company come opening day.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted it last year second archery. No issues at all. Even parked on the highway by red river and hiked up behind Bobcat pass for 3 days.
Ran into 2 guys on their way out and that was it. Get in there and you wont see a soul.

Good to hear. Thank you.

I heard it is a steep hunt but that there are definitely elk there.

4IDARCHER

WKR
I was lucky to draw 16A this year. Going to be down there there from around the 5 to the end of 1st season. Haven't heard a lot of recent Intel on the Gila as far as temps and rain goes (compared to previous years). Hopefully antler growth is going good. Probably not going to be a lot for talking from the bulls but hopefully the closer we get to the 15th the more vocal they are.

dtrkyman

WKR
No tags for me, a friend may buy a 6c tag, if he does I will go and call for him. I have been scouting for deer in 51a and only find elk, go figure.

d53531d9cd421f1d62853133968853a3.png

Pretty good rain over much of New Mexico last few days I’ve flown over

glenn

FNG
I manage a ranch in unit 4 and I still have tags available be they are already gathering up herds. I saw a herd or 60-80 head with about at least 6 really nice bulls of 300 for sure have a couple of them on camera in velvet. I am sure they are herding up in high county. 1st hunt maybe pretty good. wish u luck.

rbljack

WKR
Good luck to all that drew NM this year. I will have to wait another year. Been applying for 7 years now and still haven't drawn.....sigh......persistence WILL pay off one of these years

I was lucky to draw 16A this year. Going to be down there there from around the 5 to the end of 1st season. Haven't heard a lot of recent Intel on the Gila as far as temps and rain goes (compared to previous years). Hopefully antler growth is going good. Probably not going to be a lot for talking from the bulls but hopefully the closer we get to the 15th the more vocal they are.
I hunted 16a last year 2nd season archery, if you need any advice I would be more than happy to help.

J_teeters

FNG
I’ve got an early archery tag for unit 51... I’ve already made one scouting trip and hope to make a couple more before the hunt.
How'd you find unit 51? I'm prepping for the upcoming draw and was looking at it. Seems it has pretty low density. Would appreciate your thoughts on the unit. I'm an ABQ resident.

Thanks

J_teeters

FNG
Killed my first elk in 2016 in NM. We were there first archery. Elk were almost completely silent but we called one in that my brother shot on the second day. I killed mine on the last evening. Just happened to be where he was going pushing a few cows. He bugled 3 times while coming down the mountain. Get excited!!!

00ba2a3d275829c3290bbf3e7ad4c58b.jpg

That's a gorgeous bull. I'm prepping for the draw and doing homework. Hoping to draw a gila archery tag. Appreciate any wisdom.