New Mexico FNG

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Thought I’d step in and introduce myself, since I’ve been lurking here the last couple of weeks. I’m a recent transplant to the ABQ area, and looking forward to the western hunting scene (one of the reasons I wanted to move out here).

I wasn’t paying attention and missed the draw for NM this year, but I did pick up some Colorado tags for Mule Deer and Elk on the secondary draw. I’ve been researching both units that I drew in fairly heavily to determine which tag I want to hunt (they’re for the same season, so I’d like to concentrate on just one). I’m leaning towards Elk in the Uncompahgre Wilderness, but Muley southwest of Durango is also tempting. The Uncompahgre seems like it may be a better public land hunt.

I’ll be dusting off my grandfather’s Sako Finnbear in 7mm Rem Mag and beginning to work up some Nosler partition loads for it. As best as I can figure, it’s been about 30 years since he last hunted southern CO with the same rifle.

Looking forward to the knowledge I’ll gain here!

Fowler530

WKR
Welcome aboard!! Lots of great information and experience to draw from around here. Best of luck with whatever hunt you choose!

OP
cal30_sniper

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, guys!

I am still giving serious thought to the Muley hunt. It’s obviously closer to home, so I can probably get up there more easily for a scouting trip or two in the next few months. Unfortunately, there’s not a lot of public land, and a huge chunk of the unit is Ute reservation. It may not be the best hunt for someone with my limited skill set. Would be nice to have a set of antlers to show for the effort though!

I grew up in west Texas, where hunting consisted of waiting for whitetails at the feeder, and I spent the last few years hunting in east coast swamps where I never was successful (talk about hunting pressure!). I’m really excited to try my hand at something new, in a beautiful part of the world.