New Mexico Gila 16B information

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey gang,

I got really lucky and drew the late archery 16B Gila Elk tag. I've never been in the area. I have already ordered my BLM maps for the area. I've spent a few hours panning and zooming Google Earth, since I found out I drew yesterday. I'm looking for any information anyone is willing to share. FYI I've put in for this tag since 2009, it wasn't just a random application.

I would prefer anyone willing to share info please PM it to me or email it to me. I know there are residents who get to hunt it on a more regular basis and don't want to highlight "their" spots.

I know what to look for as far as elk areas go. That said, what regions would you guys recommend?

How is the water in 16B?

I've never hunted with a spotter before. I'm used to heavily forested dark timber, never had a need. Should I bring along my Swaro spotter, or would the EL bino's be sufficient?

What is the pressure like? Are there certain trailheads that are more heavily used than others?

What else should I be considering?

I will plan to spike in and set up, depending on what my online scouting turns up. I could set-up a Base camp at the truck if it was beneficial. I do like to be able to hit multiple drainage's from a spike camp, so that will be one of the things that I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Les
[email protected]

diesel7

Banned
Depending on area, there could be outfitters, and that time of the year, water should be decent everywhere. Depending on our monsoons. I didn't draw, but I may do a couple trips out this summer if I have time. I go in on horseback.

ElkNut1

WKR
Hey Les, congrats dude! Definite spotting scope country anytime I hunt sage! A mixture of sage & timber is what I'm best suited for. I like glassing evenings & come morning hunt the elk area I glassed up the evening before. A lot of those elk will seek available timber to bed in. I've glassed elk close to 6 miles away with a spotter, that's a lot more range than 10X binos! You will have a great time no matter!

ElkNut1

diesel7

Banned
Have you figured an area you want to go in, more or less? I'm in silver city, south of that unit. I may be able to help out a bit. Just depends which side your planning on going in.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you figured an area you want to go in, more or less? I'm in silver city, south of that unit. I may be able to help out a bit. Just depends which side your planning on going in.

Thanks diesel, I haven't yet. My maps just shipped. Still in the early parts of picking my plans. I got your PM, and will email you.

Les

diesel7

Banned
No problem, you have plenty of time. I'm looking at doing at least 2 pack trips in this summer, late shed hunting, since I drew crap. We can keep in touch, and I may be able to give you an Idea of water, and whatever.

Doghed

WKR
Congrats. I've been trying to draw that tag for a while now. I always end up in C (though I didn't draw this year). The Gila wilderness map will be helpful.

One of my favorite places to hunt!
That unit is in general steeper and more rugged the farther west you go. The highest country burned pretty thoroughly in the Whitewater Baldy Complex fire in 2012. Water is quite variable. Some years every canyon bottom has running water, other years you're forced to pay close attention to where the permanent water sources are. I'd skip the spotter. Maybe take a small tripod, but I'd skip that also. If I can be of any further help, let me know via pm.

OP
les welch

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks guys! Maps are ordered, once they come I can get a little more serious about scouting. Keep the suggestions coming.

Doghed

WKR
I'd skip the spotter. Maybe take a small tripod, but I'd skip that also.

I agree with this. Looking for sign, locator calls, and walk em down.

Side note; Two is a crowd on a solo hunt, but should you change your mind about that I could probably get out and do some calling for you. I've spent a part of September in 16c for the last 4 years, but none of us drew elk this year so my run is over. I'm in the all red club this year.

BH.

LChunt18

FNG
Hi there! I hate to sneak in here but I’m in desperate need of help too. So I’m looking at everyone’s tips. I drew in 16b/22 and am planning on a solo hunt. I probably need help packing out. I was wondering if your offer to help stood for me too. I have never hunted elk before. I have done deer in Montana. I am going on a shed/camp trip on sept to see what I’m dealing with. Any advise you could give too would be beyond much appreciated. This is a hunt of a life time for me. I tried to PM you Diesel7 but it didn’t work. So I’m asking everyone.

My best!

Laura

KHNC

WKR
I have a buddy that shot a 404 in 16B about 10 years ago. He used to go every year with a few guys. Got super tough to draw and he hasnt been in years. They paid a husband/wife team to pack them in 12-14 miles. Most everyone was successful each year, or at least had a shot to blow. lol. Interested to see how your hunt turns out.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flatlander05