New Mexico Gila 21a??

I drew second Archery for this year. It was my first choice based on alot of factors. I have started my scouting but if anyone has any info to share it would be greatly appreciated. What should be my expectation for trophy quality?? It is the east side of the Gila and mostly roadless so I know there must be a few GIANTS in there. Any info would be awesome!!!!

Trophy quality is just as good as any elk unit in the southern half of the state. Very likely you'll have chances at several 300+" bulls if you know what you're doing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You already know but mine went 363" last year in 21b. We saw a couple 340's+ and one 380" 7x8. Not sure what unit but it was the Gila, my brother's cousin in law arrowed a 370". Don't want to be unrealistic but there are some GIANTS in and around the Gila.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chops24

WKR
ive always hunted the northernmost portion of 21A and have never had a problem finding them or with opportunities, did well off the continental divide.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
21A is not loaded with elk like 15, and 16’s and the other units further west, but they’re definitely in there. I had never been to 21A until last year. A buddy of mine somehow accidentally put in the wrong hunt code and drew the first rifle hunt. We went down two days before the hunt and had one day to scout. We covered as much country as we could and on the evening before the opener were able to glass up about 30 head that were about 3 miles away. Opening morning we were able to get on them and there was 2 mature bulls that were screaming their heads off. They weren’t giants, both around 300” but the show they put on was awesome. He ended up shooting the heavier and more dominant bull from 350 yds. If they aren’t talking get up high and glass.

D1Hunter, Pm me and I’ll give you some starting points

h8brick

FNG
You already know but mine went 363" last year in 21b. We saw a couple 340's+ and one 380" 7x8. Not sure what unit but it was the Gila, my brother's cousin in law arrowed a 370". Don't want to be unrealistic but there are some GIANTS in and around the Gila.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i wanna go hunting with you!!

chops24

WKR
21A is a great unit if you put in the work and run the glass hard. Ive been run over by bulls and have had a hard time finding them. if you arent finding them in mid september, move. put in miles. glass.