New Mexico - GMU 52

psirus7

WKR
I just pulled my first Elk tag (muzzleloader) from the NM lottery. I’m looking to talk to anyone who has experience in GMU 52 / Carson National Forest. I am unfamiliar with the area as all my previous Mule Deer hunts have been down in GMU 36 / Ruidoso. I’m starting my research now with a scouting trip planned for July. Any info is appreciated (logistics, terrain, climatology, access, etc.). Cheers.
-Sam

Austink47

WKR
Good unit. PM me I can help you out. Not going to give you grids on my spots but I will try to help you have a good hunt.

a5sooner

FNG
I’ve hunted 51a to the south, first archery. I was happy with the unit for sure. They were just starting to ramp up in mid September in that area. I missed a 340 class. I had unknowingly bumped my sight and was about 6-8” low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great area. I like Jawbone mountain. It’s a hike into the area but some nice herds on that hill. Any tips on Unit 36 for elk?

swampokie

WKR
Lots of elk but lots of people as well Snowed on us last year during that season. Cold in the higher elevations of the unit but elk all over the unit. Can be really warm during the day below 8500 feet. Any style of hunting can be used in this unit. Not a trophy unit but a good one none the less. I would stay away from any part of the unit recommended by a warden with nmdgf because thats where everyone will be

OP
psirus7

psirus7

WKR
Bump to this thread. How are conditions and the herd looking in GMU 52 for those that have been there recently?

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
Camped up there last week. The elk are still there. Plenty of water where I was.
You really aren't going to get an advantage by forum info in 52. There are elk everywhere in that unit. You are just going to have to get boots on the ground to find them when you are there. Go where there isn't pressure and I promise you will find elk. I could tell you what drainage I glassed them in but it won't mean anything come first week of October. If you put in some effort, you should have no problem killing a branch antlered bull. Good luck!

Tuck56

FNG
Good unit. PM me I can help you out. Not going to give you grids on my spots but I will try to help you have a good hunt.
Hi. I also drew an elk tag for unit 52 for 2021, archery first season. I could use some info on the area. I have not been there except driving through. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you,

I drew 52 first archery in 2020. Hunted the 1st through the 6th. It was my first elk hunt. Ended up taking a 5x5 over a wallow the evening of the 6th. Did 65 miles of elk hiking without hearing a sound. I put in for the same hunt again and somehow managed to draw it. I've decided to skip the first week in hopes of hearing some bugles the second. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of when they started talking last year?

hunting1

WKR
Have fun and there are elk all over the unit from San Antonio to Broke off. no roads so get your boots on. The bugling is hit or miss so my suggestion is cover ground. There are a few good 300" bulls but expect the majority to be rag horns. Great unit, have fun! I'll be taking my kids on second rifle this year.

Hi. I also drew an elk tag for unit 52 for 2021, archery first season. I could use some info on the area. I have not been there except driving through. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you,
I am gonna be up there with my dad we both have tags if you need help

Have fun and there are elk all over the unit from San Antonio to Broke off. no roads so get your boots on. The bugling is hit or miss so my suggestion is cover ground. There are a few good 300" bulls but expect the majority to be rag horns. Great unit, have fun! I'll be taking my kids on second rifle this year.
Those rag horns are all coming across the northern border when the pressure starts. I’ll see if I can push a few over ;) 🏹🏹🏹