New Mexico / Gmu -Unit 5b December Tips and Advice

How yall doing everyone a newbie here, So I am new boot to this the elk hunting game, I am an Avid whitetail hunter both bow and rifle but by reading some of yalls post and stories its a totally different beast , So this year I found an outfitter which was top notch on walking me through the process of submitting my non-resident application since I'm from Texas I've been told you have a better chance of drawing a tag by going through an Outfitter for non-residents. So well I guess I had the luck on my side and drew a tag for December 18-22 rifle season first go around all my gear is pretty much checked off my list and fine tuning my rifle I'll be using a Savage 110 HighCountry chambered in 7mm rem mag using Hornady 175gr Eldx or 180gr Bergers and topped off with a Vortex Viper Hst 6x24x50 also which round would yall prefer. For the New Mexico guys what kind of weather conditions should I expect for that time frame being up north , I bought all new first lite winter and wet gear and we will be staying in cabins for this hunt , I appreciate yalls time and any replies I get just trying to get a heads up of what to expect from this unit and the experience , and hopefully I can take one with my bow someday and experience the bugling and challenge of using the ole stick and string. Once again Thanks!! Semper Fi

KHNC

WKR
Congrats on drawing a NM elk tag. Step one in the right direction.

OP
W
Thanks brother still unreal when I found out a couple months ago , I hear people put in for years and still have not drawn a tag, just looking forward too the experience and learn!

OP
W
Sounds like our winter weather down here in south texas without the snow, 90's one day and then cold the next day! Thanks for the reply

Sounds like our winter weather down here in south texas without the snow, 90's one day and then cold the next day! Thanks for the reply
Nah he means a few feet of snow, or maybe not a few feet of snow.
Maybe snow then rain then wind that burns more than the sun.
Maybe sunny nice days.

Should be fun especially with an outfitter and a cabin. Are they full guiding you? 5b is a spotty unit.

OP
W
Yes sir I paid extra for a 1x1guided hunt! I'm really just looking forward to the experience and If I get a chance at a bull that will be a plus and if not that's ok too, I will just keep applying and educating myself from all the good information from you guys on here!

Yes sir I paid extra for a 1x1guided hunt! I'm really just looking forward to the experience and If I get a chance at a bull that will be a plus and if not that's ok too, I will just keep applying and educating myself from all the good information from you guys on here!
Should be good then. Enjoy!

BobT

FNG
I have a Dec 26-30 muzzleloader elk hunt in NM unit 17. I’ll be interested to hear how your hunt went.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
W
T-minus 12 Days and counting, Headed out on the 15th two days earlier till the start of the hunt to get acclimated to the area. I think i'm as prepared as I can be , trained and almost back to my marine corps in shape days lol body just hurts more these days, all my gear is ready , the rifle is dialed in so now its just being able to capitalize once out in the field. I will try and update as much as possible if there is good reception and I also named my rifle after my wife nothing like a good women too have your back!!

OP
W
So as the op for this post I apologize fellas been really busy since the hunt and the area we were at wireless service was spotty . So here is my report weather conditions were a big factor in this hunt , we were dealing with a full moon and lack of decent snow accumulations on the ground , In GMU-UNIT 5B we were hunting the resident bulls that were in the area the big migratory herds that usually should be in this area were still holding up between the Colorado /New Mexico Line due to the lack of snow. It was alot of driving around and glassing the rock ridges and the sides of the mountains since it was a full moon the morning hunts were tough by the time you had shooting light alot of these bulls were up high already instead of catching them on sage flats like we hoped , so we had to change up our game plan spotting and stalking was tough the snow on the ground was crunchy and if we had a shot they were out to 6-800yrds, I don't do alot of long range shooting one you have to have a place to shoot from that distance , the farthest at my place is 300yrds so I just wasn't comfortable making that type of shot and that's just making the right decision on my part I'm not there to wound I'm there to kill my rifle is very capable of that distance and farther just need to put in more trigger time behind it and get my scope completely dialed in dope wise. Now for the experience it was awesome and I was hooked it beats sitting in a deer blind and waiting for the animal to come to you like in texas , putting in the work on foot and stalking the animal was hunting to me , I learned that my working out and training that I did help me out walking up the sides of the mountains with snow and not getting winded also having good boots played a big part comfortability and you veteran elk hunters would agree taking care of your feet is key my firstlite gear did its job in the cold weather and merino wool is a plus . My Outfitter was outstanding and enjoyed every minute with those guys (H&A OUTFITTERS) very professional ,food was great comradarie was awesome just like being around my brothers I served with , thats why I already have my application done and hopefully draw a tag again for bow or rifle this season and get some more experience under my belt before I jump into the DIY mode which I learned is not smart if you dont what else comes with elk hunting game I helped pack out an elk damn that meat is heavy and I was going down hill , I tried to picture myself quartering and packing out a bull by myself and the things that could go wrong especially with sketchy terrain , and predators seeing some of the big cat tracks that my guide showed me negative have to crawl before you can walk and I wanna build that confidence first, I wish I was posting a pic of me holding a bull just wasn't my time ,but my chance will come and hopefully be rewarded next time (sorry for any grammar mistakes). Semper Fi