New Mexico hunt planning

I’m looking to plan a NM rifle hunt for 2022. Looking at the NM Dept. of Game and Fish website along with other online research it looks like drawing a tag as a NR is pretty tough. I see that landowners are able to get tags for their ranches which is the way it seems a lot of the outfitters go about getting their clients tags which makes it a lot easier for the hunters. Without going through an outfitter, how difficult is it for a NR to find landowners that will sell tags and let hunters access their property for a trespass fee? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Just a little overwhelmed trying to figure all of this out from G&F website.

dtrkyman

WKR
The past couple years LO tags are tough to get, many of them are bought up by outfitters. If the landowner sells a tag he opens his ranch to the public.

Keep in mind you actually buy a voucher from a "land owner" and with that you then buy the tag from game and fish, so you get double dipped! Say the landowner charges you $3500 then you give game and fish the voucher number, pick your hunt and pay game and fish for the tag, was around $650 last time I did it.

Tags pop up on craigslist if you watch there.

OP
M
The past couple years LO tags are tough to get, many of them are bought up by outfitters. If the landowner sells a tag he opens his ranch to the public.

Keep in mind you actually buy a voucher from a "land owner" and with that you then buy the tag from game and fish, so you get double dipped! Say the landowner charges you $3500 then you give game and fish the voucher number, pick your hunt and pay game and fish for the tag, was around $650 last time I did it.

Tags pop up on craigslist if you watch there.
For $3500 I can do a hint with an outfitter and then not have to worry about food, lodging, etc.. I’ll check out Craigslist though and see if there’s anything on there. May just do a hunt with an outfitter though if I can find a good one.

dtrkyman

WKR
3500 with an outfitter and tag, that’s dirt cheap in New Mexico!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitzwho

WKR
New Mexico did away with the Antelope Private Land Use System after the 2018 season. Landowners can basically now sell as many vouchers as they see fit, without having to open up their property to the public. For antelope at least.

I believe there is still a remnant of this for Elk tags and if the landowner tag is ranch specific (does not require public access) or unit-wide (does require public access).

I see tags pop up now and then on Craigslist, but it definitely seems like it has been a year or two since I have seen any. Vouchers can be expensive, and you do then have to buy the tag from the state as well. New Mexico Antelope tag is $283.