New Mexico info wanted. Western newbie

Blake_08

FNG
Hello all, I've been lurking the forum for months before joining and i have to say, this looks to like a great place to be. Seems like minimal bickering and everyone seems pretty helpful. Anyway, I'm from Oklahoma and I've never been west of here except for one time, i traveled through the Angel Fire/ Red River NM area about 15 years ago. I'm looking at traveling to NM (preferably central to eastern portion of the state) spring 2021 to turkey hunt and just experience something different. I travel every year in turkey season but I've never been west and i think the time has come for that.

So, i plan on being somewhere in NM at some point in turkey season and i think my schedule will allow me to get out there and scout once before the hunting trip. I've already spoke to some NM residents and have a general area to go so that's not what I'm asking of you folks here. What I'd like to know from the roksliders is......what unit might be an almost sure bet unit for me to pick up an elk shed on my preseason scouting trip (3-4 days of hiking). Shed hunting is one of my favorite things to do here at home and i pick up deer sheds almost year around except for summer months. I've found hundreds of deer sheds but, our lack of elk keeps me from having any elk sheds in my collection and I'm willing to drive 12-14 hours to find one. I don't need a 360" brown set, I'd just like to find a hard white or two for the mantle. So anyone that'd be willing to give me any help or information would be much appreciated. Not just on sheds, but western hiking experience or tips as well. Or turkeys, I'll take whatever advice anyone wants to give. Right now I'm looking at 34 or 36 in the Lincoln to turkey hunt in, as that's about the closest to me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Blake_08

FNG
Just to share, here's one of our Christmas trees this year. Everything on and in this is a shed antler.
46949a177e5d093cdd11a089200e7e3e.jpg
e909662664a51396ed1e917be78df09e.jpg
f0aa1f2db24f2f599df44085b76d296f.jpg

OP
B

Blake_08

FNG
I should also say, I'd like any help offered to be PM'd to me but I'm not at the 10 post or 7 day threshold yet so i may bump this thread once I'm eligible for PMs. Or emails would work.

[email protected]

OP
B

Blake_08

FNG
Chops thanks for the PM. It's not giving me the option to reply yet but i will first chance i get. Again, thank you!

OP
B

Blake_08

FNG
I've replied to PMs. Thanks to the members who have offered or will offer some advice. I really appreciate it