New Mexico landowner tag (unit 51)

Herbie03

FNG
I've got a family member with some land in U51. He entered for the LO draw but didn't get picked. I'm want to hunt his place for archery but of course need a LO tag. I've started looking at Craigslist and doing general searches. Anyone have any intell on who what where how? I'm going diy so looking for something reasonable. Whatever reasonable is. I'd prefer a bull elk tag, but suppose I'd settle for an either sex (lol)

Are landowner tags in New Mexico specific to the certain piece of land they are issued to? In other words, can you use a landowner tag on any private property for a unit as long as you have permission from the owner?

Nick
There are 2 different types. Unit wide and ranch only. Unit wide can hunt public land and private lands. Ranch only can in most units only hunt the property it was issued to.

wthunter

FNG
Landowner tags in NM have really jumped in price just in the last year. I was looking into a unit wide tag for unit 13. I was tracking them last year and they could be found for $4,000-$5,000. This year they are $6,500. Many times ticket brokers get ahold of them before the general public has much of a chance. For that price I can go on a fully guided hunt in Colorado or Montana on private land. Just remember, the landowner voucher is just the right to buy the tag, you also have to purchase a tag from the state.....

KHNC

WKR
The LO tags in New Mexico are biggest scam by politicians in hunting history. Hardly any of the landowners use these to control elk populations on their own land. They only use them as a money rackett. If NM would force these to be used as "ranch only", at least it would be a step in the right direction. They are not being used for their intended purposes.

Beendare

WKR
Landowner tags in NM have really jumped in price just in the last year. ....

Yep....it corresponds to the fact it's harder to draw even a Gen tag in Wyo, or a combo tag in MT...or a good tag ANYWHERE. The demand for elk tags has skyrocketed with the plethora of YouTube vids showing elk coming to the call.

This Youtube phenomena; So not only have tag prices risen or been harder to draw but its also got many guys thinking if they blow a call every 100yds up a well used trail, the elk will come running in to them. Not!

wthunter

FNG
The LO tags in New Mexico are biggest scam by politicians in hunting history. Hardly any of the landowners use these to control elk populations on their own land. They only use them as a money rackett. If NM would force these to be used as "ranch only", at least it would be a step in the right direction. They are not being used for their intended purposes.

I would have to agree with you there, they should be ranch only. I do understand the other side of the argument though. It might be that the elk only over-winter on that ranch and since they are contributing to the elk herd during a crucial part of the year they give them a landowner tag to use unit wide.

I just imagine the chaos that would ensue if we were able to sell our Iowa landowner tags to NR...especially if you could use them statewide or county wide. Anyone with 2 acres can get one. It would not be a good thing.