New Mexico Livin'

WKR
This is a great thread. I got stationed in CA, moved to AZ and then went to TX. Feel bad about skipping over NM. Honestly, I miss the public land in the west and I spend all my time off hunting in the west. I am tired of driving all the time for hunting and looking to move back west. I have been looking into NM, specifically Silver City area, and I know its a pretty blue in the larger population centers which control the states politics. I think I would rather have that then pay to hunt anywhere close by me.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I lived there for a very long time, you couldn’t pay me to go back. The people there are among the worst I’ve ever encountered. Gang bangers everywhere, violent crime, theft, rampant sexual assaults, terrible schools, mediocre universities and all the girls get pregnant when they are like 9 so by the time you meet a new Mexico girl in her 20s-30s she’s all burnt out and shitty. It’s also super liberal which is a major detractor for mentally healthy peopl.

Good hiking and hunting though.

Last edited:
I'll tell you that nothing I read in this thread resonates with me. I have no doubt that Abq is a pit of crime. I don't go there unless I have a plane ticket in my hand. I raise my sons here. The school they were zoned for wasn't rated well. We transferred them to another public school that rated well and couldn't be happier.
I literally don't have one stolen car story. Not myself or anyone I know.
Now if you can't get along with people from different races you shouldn't move here. I'm white and the crew I work on are all Hispanic and native. No one at work plays fantasy football or golf. They all do different things outdoors. It suites me just fine. It may take some time to find your way here. Life isn't handed to you. You can be lazy and live near the big city but clearly from what others say here youll pay for that choice. Stay up north,spend your time doing the right stuff and its the best place you'll find. I've lived in Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, Washinton and Alaska. All for fairly short periods of time. 1-5 years. My brother's live up on the front range so we visit often. Colorado has a lot to offer but the problem is that everyone knows that. I usually can't wait to get home to some shitty NM peace and quiet. I love the fact that this thread is filled with such bad reviews. I always say that it just doesn't look nice to outsiders here and that's what keeps everyone away, which keeps our population where it belongs. So yeah move to Abq or a surrounding area and get what you get. I had to go to Abq once 10 years ago for 4 days for training and remember coming home and telling my wife that if forced to ever work there, we were leaving the state. Anyway I thought this thread needed a different perspective.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I lived there for a very long time, you couldn’t pay me to go back. The people there are among the worst I’ve ever encountered. Gang bangers everywhere, violent crime, theft, rampant sexual assaults, terrible schools, mediocre universities and all the girls get pregnant when they are like 9 so by the time you meet a new Mexico girl in her 20s-30s she’s all burnt out and shitty. It’s also super liberal which is a major detractor for mentally healthy peopl.

Good hiking and hunting though.
I don't often laff out loud....but when all girls get "All burnt out and shitty".....that makes me laff!

New Mexico was so awesome my first tour...I went back for a second! Very New Mexico proud. But I lived in the southern portion. ABQ is a shit hole and All Burnt Out

Felix40

WKR
I'll tell you that nothing I read in this thread resonates with me. I have no doubt that Abq is a pit of crime. I don't go there unless I have a plane ticket in my hand. I raise my sons here. The school they were zoned for wasn't rated well. We transferred them to another public school that rated well and couldn't be happier.
Now if you can't get along with people from different races you shouldn't move here. I'm white and the crew I work on are all Hispanic and native. No one at work plays fantasy football or golf. They all do different things outdoors. It suites me just fine. It may take some time to find your way here. Life isn't handed to you. You can be lazy and live near the big city but clearly from what others say here youll pay for that choice. Stay up north,spend your time doing the right stuff and its the best place you'll find. I've lived in Montana, Wyoming, Nevada, Arizona, Washinton and Alaska. All for fairly short periods of time. 1-5 years. My brother's live up on the front range so we visit often. Colorado has a lot to offer but the problem is that everyone knows that. I usually can't wait to get home to some shitty NM peace and quiet. I love the fact that this thread is filled with such bad reviews. I always say that it just doesn't look nice to outsiders here and that's what keeps everyone away, which keeps our population where it belongs. So yeah move to Abq or a surrounding area and get what you get. I had to go to Abq once 10 years ago for 4 days for training and remember coming home and telling my wife that if forced to ever work there, we were leaving the state. Anyway I thought this thread needed a different perspective.

I have the same experience as you. When I visit family in CO I can’t wait to get back. I’d rather live with poor people than with the crazies on the front range.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For the record, I never lived in Albuquerque, I spent all my time up north. Espanola is gang banger paradise, in high school we would ditch school, drive down there to get Taco Bell and buy weed. There was this joke: why wasn’t Jesus born in espanola? Because he couldn’t find 3 wise men and a virgin....or why do girls in espanola wear underwear??? To keep their ankles warm.

Man I hate that place lol.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have lived in Albuquerque/ Rio Rancho for 15yrs. I had more cars and stuff stolen in PHX than here. Public education sucks pretty much in the whole state. Hunting and outdoor stuff is hard to beat. Cost of living isn't high but the vlue government sucks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The public education in the state is terrible unless you are in Los Alamos where all the scientists live and all the teachers have masters/phds and are married to physicists. But then you’re in Los Alamos which is just like a small shitty version of California.

Brooks

WKR

Not everyone can move to a town with a population of 50, not a house in sight for 20 miles, work at Alsups or Brewers and raise a family. I hunted up north of Cuba about 10 years ago and if I ever told NMG&F what I saw some of the locals do up there they’d probably lock me up . Some wild outlaws up that way !! It was time for me to just pack up and head for home.

My county is very red but it may change sometime. Lots of hunters, farmers, and ranchers. We even have a “big” city that has its share of crime but nothing like Albq. I live 30 minutes or less from CO. Every state has its problems. Liberals, crime, schooling, etc. you have to pick the best spot for you. The Rio Grande corridor is terrible. I’ve lived in Northwest NM my whole life except for about 3 years.

My wife was born and raised here as well and she definitely was not “all burnt out and shitty” she is a good strong Christian woman that teaches 4th grade and has her Masters degree. Way more educated than I ever will be.

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
My county is very red but it may change sometime. Lots of hunters, farmers, and ranchers. We even have a “big” city that has its share of crime but nothing like Albq. I live 30 minutes or less from CO. Every state has its problems. Liberals, crime, schooling, etc. you have to pick the best spot for you. The Rio Grande corridor is terrible. I’ve lived in Northwest NM my whole life except for about 3 years.

My wife was born and raised here as well and she definitely was not “all burnt out and shitty” she is a good strong Christian woman that teaches 4th grade and has her Masters degree. Way more educated than I ever will be.
I know I already weighed in on this post very early but I have to say that I agree with @butcherboy and @seldomseensmith in that not all of NM is bad. I grew up near Alamogordo and I missed NM terribly - until I moved back... and moved to the ABQ area.

Since the OP was initially asking about Albuquerque and Santa Fe (or within an hour of), that is what a lot of people are referencing with the negative. That is absolutely what I was referencing and I didn't give that distinction very well from the rest of NM.

I'd be plenty happy living in Rodeo, NM or Cloudcroft, NM or even Kirtland, NM or Eunice, NM. The crime and politics aren't nearly as bad in those places as the location the OP was asking about.
I also know that "within an hour" of ABQ there can be some great places. As I mentioned, Grants to the west, or if you go east to Edgewood, Moriarty or Stanley you are separated from all of that, maybe Mountainair is close enough for the OP.

NM has a lot to offer. It truly is the Land of Enchantment and just like anywhere in the world, there are good places and bad places. You can't beat the food, the hunting can be fantastic and the people are friendly. Even if Albuquerque is the neck tattoo capital of the world - haha!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I know I already weighed in on this post very early but I have to say that I agree with @butcherboy and @seldomseensmith in that not all of NM is bad. I grew up near Alamogordo and I missed NM terribly - until I moved back... and moved to the ABQ area.

Since the OP was initially asking about Albuquerque and Santa Fe (or within an hour of), that is what a lot of people are referencing with the negative. That is absolutely what I was referencing and I didn't give that distinction very well from the rest of NM.

I'd be plenty happy living in Rodeo, NM or Cloudcroft, NM or even Kirtland, NM or Eunice, NM. The crime and politics aren't nearly as bad in those places as the location the OP was asking about.
I also know that "within an hour" of ABQ there can be some great places. As I mentioned, Grants to the west, or if you go east to Edgewood, Moriarty or Stanley you are separated from all of that, maybe Mountainair is close enough for the OP.

NM has a lot to offer. It truly is the Land of Enchantment and just like anywhere in the world, there are good places and bad places. You can't beat the food, the hunting can be fantastic and the people are friendly. Even if Albuquerque is the neck tattoo capital of the world - haha!

What’s good about grants??? Or Gallup for that matter. I remember when the refineries there would have to close because after payday nobody would show up because they were all on a bender. I think one of the Superman videos was filmed out that way.

I still remember doing the mt. Taylor winter quadrathlon and when I got back to town, a bunch of natives were drinking hairspray and making out in front of the restaraunt.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I talked a bit in another thread about the strange stuff we’ve found in the wilderness. New Mexico is where I walked up on a drunk orgy out until he woods. It was hilarious.

mlgc20

WKR
I will preface this by saying that I have never lived in New Mexico. But, I do go there at least a couple times a year. I think NM is awesome. Fantastic scenery and outdoor activities. Very nice people. I’ve never had a bad experience there.

The only thing that I don’t get is the green chilies. They put that stuff on everything. Oh you want a taco? Here is seven ladles of green chilies to go on top.

• Haha
Reactions: ZDR

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I will preface this by saying that I have never lived in New Mexico. But, I do go there at least a couple times a year. I think NM is awesome. Fantastic scenery and outdoor activities. Very nice people. I’ve never had a bad experience there.

The only thing that I don’t get is the green chilies. They put that stuff on everything. Oh you want a taco? Here is seven ladles of green chilies to go on top.

That’s one thing I really miss about NM. My dad is like some of you guys here are, he lives up in northern NM and he will never leave, he thinks it’s heaven.

Last edited:
I am from South Dakota and moved there for a while. I thought it was awesome! I enjoyed the shed hunting, hunting, hiking, etc. That being said, I was living in Las Cruces, NM. Also, a great state to be a resident in for hunting in my opinion.

The public education in the state is terrible unless you are in Los Alamos where all the scientists live and all the teachers have masters/phds and are married to physicists. But then you’re in Los Alamos which is just like a small shitty version of California.
Lol this sums it up so well.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I am from South Dakota and moved there for a while. I thought it was awesome! I enjoyed the shed hunting, hunting, hiking, etc. That being said, I was living in Las Cruces, NM. Also, a great state to be a resident in for hunting in my opinion.

The bu ting draw is ok if you know how to play it.

Squincher

WKR
What’s good about grants??? Or Gallup for that matter. I remember when the refineries there would have to close because after payday nobody would show up because they were all on a bender. I think one of the Superman videos was filmed out that way.

I still remember doing the mt. Taylor winter quadrathlon and when I got back to town, a bunch of natives were drinking hairspray and making out in front of the restaraunt.
It ain't a party till you got 3 or 4 naked, passed out drunks aqua-netted together. Prude.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It ain't a party till you got 3 or 4 naked, passed out drunks aqua-netted together. Prude.

I used to work with a guy in NM who said it was as called “ocean” they would sort of like a hole in a can of aqua net and mix it with water.

I always used to joke with him and put a fan of aqua net in the water bottle holder of his bicycle.