New Mexico Livin'

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
What’s good about grants??? Or Gallup for that matter.
Nothing about Gallup IMO - and the best thing about Grants is it's not ABQ or Gallup! And their mayor has a massive set of cajones and defies MLG.
^^^^ ...and then he said "Rodeo, NM"....
Rodeo has bighorn sheep, coues and mule deer as well as good quail hunting and great coyote calling. And speaking of coyotes, if you have been there since the election you can see hundreds of coyotes and mules of the two legged kind. Activity seems to have increased a couple hundred percent by some official accounts.

Not everyone can move to a town with a population of 50, not a house in sight for 20 miles, work at Alsups or Brewers and raise a family. I hunted up north of Cuba about 10 years ago and if I ever told NMG&F what I saw some of the locals do up there they’d probably lock me up . Some wild outlaws up that way !! It was time for me to just pack up and head for home.
I'm not sure what you're implying here. We do a fair bit better than working at a gas station but to each his own. Like I said earlier, I'm glad people have the impression they do.

1611937056913.png

Zbot

WKR
So was that a hard no on living in Santa Fe? We are thinking of moving out of Las Vegas and have thought of NM.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
So was that a hard no on living in Santa Fe? We are thinking of moving out of Las Vegas and have thought of NM.

I lived in Santa Fe for a bit, it’s ultra liberal but there are lots of good restaraunts there. I havnt been in awhile but I remember the traffic just being awful. There’s some good hiking and high mountain lakes nearby you can fish in. There are serious drug problems in the high schools there.

FLAK

WKR
Nothing about Gallup IMO - and the best thing about Grants is it's not ABQ or Gallup! And their mayor has a massive set of cajones and defies MLG.

Rodeo has bighorn sheep, coues and mule deer as well as good quail hunting and great coyote calling. And speaking of coyotes, if you have been there since the election you can see hundreds of coyotes and mules of the two legged kind. Activity seems to have increased a couple hundred percent by some official accounts.
This is why I will prolly skip the NM apps this year.

dtrkyman

WKR
I lived in Santa Fe for a bit, it’s ultra liberal but there are lots of good restaraunts there. I havnt been in awhile but I remember the traffic just being awful. There’s some good hiking and high mountain lakes nearby you can fish in. There are serious drug problems in the high schools there.

There are not enough people in Santa Fe for "awful" traffic. I guess it is just relative to what you are used to, I grew up in the Chicago burbs and can tell you that is traffic!

If they would just learn to use a turn signal all would be great.

Santa Fe has a lot to offer, however it is super Liberal and really expensive as well. Just avid the Whole Foods parking lot and you will be fine!

Lived here for over 40 years and I think I have been to Santa Fe maybe twice! Lol mostly travel to Taos, Chama, Albq, Socorro, TorC, Las Cruces, Deming. Farmington and surrounding area thousands of times 🤣 all other places like Cimmaron, Eagle Nest, Red River, Gallup, Grants, etc I’m just passing through to get somewhere else. I grew up going to Mountainaire a lot since I had a ton of family that lived there.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There are not enough people in Santa Fe for "awful" traffic. I guess it is just relative to what you are used to, I grew up in the Chicago burbs and can tell you that is traffic!

If they would just learn to use a turn signal all would be great.

Santa Fe has a lot to offer, however it is super Liberal and really expensive as well. Just avid the Whole Foods parking lot and you will be fine!
That main street there what is it? cerillos? was like a parking lot for a lot of the day while I was spending time there.

dtrkyman

WKR
Cerillo's can be busy but have not seen it a parking lot. Fortunately I do not have to travel south on it too often.

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
My wife loves Santa Fe. Unfortunately for her, I’d rather get kicked in the taint then go back there.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
What's everyone's opinion on Las Cruces and the University of New Mexico? I'm applying to Master's program there and have no idea what the city or the public lands around it are like.

What's everyone's opinion on Las Cruces and the University of New Mexico? I'm applying to Master's program there and have no idea what the city or the public lands around it are like.

Well, first of all, UNM is in Albuquerque and NMSU is in Cruces. UNM will be more liberal than NMSU. Public land around Cruces is more desert and dry with increased foot traffic from illegals.

My only reason for going to Taos was when I was scouting for an elk hunt on the Valle Vidal and for state Taxidermy competitions. When I actually hunted I went through Chama and over Cumbres pass into CO then swing back into NM. It was closer for me than going over and coming in by way of Tres Piedras. That Main Street in Taos through the old part and artsy side is brutal!

ZDR

WKR
Las Cruces = NMSU and its a good school...I hired a lot of engineers from there over the years. Think Coues whitetails, Ibex, Javalina hunting relatively close by. Elk, Mule deer and turkey in the Gila. Elephant Butte for stripers etc if fishing is your thing. Not a bad place to be. Lots of illegals for sure, but thats NM now.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info about Las Cruces so far. I definitely meant to say NMSU and shouldn't be typing in the small hours of the morning.

I would only be in Las Cruces for the two to three years it would take to finish a program. I'm like a raccoon that can live anywhere, but my lady would be with me working her job remotely. She's Idaho-born and gets cabin fever pretty bad. It would be peace of mind knowing that I'm dragging her somewhere with good outdoor recreation opportunities within weekend warrior range.

It looks like big game tags are a lot more scarce than I'm used to, but I would be pretty excited to get into Javelina hunting for a couple of years.

CorbLand

WKR
Elephant Butte for stripers etc if fishing is your thing. Not a bad place to be. Lots of illegals for sure, but thats NM now.
Totally read that as strippers the first time and the rest of the sentence just didnt make any sense.

• Haha
Reactions: ZDR