New Mexico lockdown

Cowbell

WKR
Got a hunt right after the first of year. Curious how others are handling this as a nonresident.
Thanks In advance

AZmark

WKR
Hey Cowbelle,
I just had a deer hunt in NM last week. What unit is your hunt and where are you coming from? Do you have a place rented or camping so you can fix your own meals? I live on the AZ eastern border and just traveled across every day so I had no problems. Their restaurants are now take out only.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
Just back a couple weeks ago from a mule deer hunt near Navajo Dam. Zero issues traveling in from TX, fuel stops and one shopping run uneventful. Had our own food so can’t speak to restaurants.

dtrkyman

WKR
Should be no problem, I live here right now but am technically a non resident, have out of state plates and have been all over the state, zero issues.

state controlled parks are resident only so keep that in mind, but some are likely not being enforced?

Restaurants are take out only currently.

Make sure you have a mask, and wear it when going into any business. I was in Chama, and all places that served food were order at the window, and take it to go or eat at the tables they had set-up outside. They require masks even at the window when placing your order. Some eating places were not even open at all.

NM’s vote is controlled by the Rio Grande corridor just like CO’s is controlled by the front range. The rest of the state is red.

Just come and hunt. Our state dictator is a joke. You won’t have a single problem in San Juan county or any of the other counties that aren’t in the corridor.

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
Hey Cowbelle,
I just had a deer hunt in NM last week. What unit is your hunt and where are you coming from? Do you have a place rented or camping so you can fix your own meals? I live on the AZ eastern border and just traveled across every day so I had no problems. Their restaurants are now take out only.
24 archery mule deer rut tag. Planning on camping and cooking our own meals. How was your hunt?

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
I appreciate all the responses. This is what I've been thinking but wanted to hear from others with experience. It's great to have rockslide as a resource when you can't believe anything you hear anymore.

Last edited:

AZmark

WKR
24 archery mule deer rut tag. Planning on camping and cooking our own meals. How was your hunt?
24 is a great unit. Where you coming from?

Son and I hunted unit 23. Its a 5 minute drive from my house. Hunted the north part for 2 days, then lower country down by Alma 2 days, then last day back to the north. Saw 2 small 3 point the first morning and passed them up as Ive had pretty good luck in there but only saw 2 pts the rest of the hunt so came home empty handed. Its really dry and we saw most of the deer at higher elevations.

If you like real Mexican food Jaliscos in downtown Silver City is great. If things are open by then.

I have a AZ unit 27 mule deer hunt mid december that should be good as its the beginning of the rut.

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
24 is a great unit. Where you coming from?

Son and I hunted unit 23. Its a 5 minute drive from my house. Hunted the north part for 2 days, then lower country down by Alma 2 days, then last day back to the north. Saw 2 small 3 point the first morning and passed them up as Ive had pretty good luck in there but only saw 2 pts the rest of the hunt so came home empty handed. Its really dry and we saw most of the deer at higher elevations.

If you like real Mexican food Jaliscos in downtown Silver City is great. If things are open by then.

I have a AZ unit 27 mule deer hunt mid december that should be good as its the beginning of the rut.
Thanks for the info. Going in kinda blind without a scouting trip. We have done some research but it's hard for me to fully grasp a unit without being there first.