New Mexico Non-resident DIY

I'm looking into applying in New Mexico this year but the numbers are discouraging for the DIY hunter. The way I'm reading it on GoHunt there are only 2 units with enough tags allocated to make it possible for the unguided non-resident to draw. There has to be at least 17 tags given out to in a given unit to make it possible for a non-resident to draw in the unguided pool.

Is it really this bad or am I missing something here?

OP
Mooseknuckle22
Jethro you're right. I see now that the tag numbers that GoHunt was providing me was for nonresidents only. I need to be looking at the total tags issued for residents and nonresidents combined

Jethro

WKR
Yes sir, Moose. You need a total quota of at least 17 for there to be 1 tag available in the DIY NR pool. Of course you'll still need a lot of luck.

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
The odds are definitely against you, but I like that New Mexico doesn’t have bonus points, so everyone is on a level playing field. There’s definitely more than two units statewide for a non res diy to draw. I got lucky last year and drew an oryx tag on my own, not in the outfitter pool. I had a 0.3% chance of drawing, so lightning does strike occasionally.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
we used to draw NM bull elk every couple years. The Gila was awesome, NE of Las Cruses was magical. And then all the non-resident restrictions started, then added outfitter/ranch owner tag guarantee.

haven't drawn a NM elk tag in 7 years now....ARghhhh.!

but I keep trying. Like to archery hunt the Gila at least one last time. Elk hunting heaven....

One of my best friend's good buddy from the Marines drew a non resident high demand elk tag last year on his first ever attempt. Not to make y’all jealous, but to show you that it does happen.

Also, there is a bill in the legislature this year trying to get rid of the outfitter tags. I don’t know enough about it to really have an opinion, but it’s there.

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
There's some pretty bad odds but you can get lucky
Last year was the first time I ever tried in New Mexico and I drew a 16d 2nd archery NR tag. 1 of 3 tags like that available 🙂

Lucky!!

This will be my 8th year applying. So for nothing. Maybe this is the year.

Also, there is a bill in the legislature this year trying to get rid of the outfitter tags. I don’t know enough about it to really have an opinion, but it’s there.

I've heard about this also. Outfitters are obviously fighting it hard. Can anyone who's knowledgeable on this speak to if it would be good or bad for the NR DIY guy?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk