New Mexico or Wyoming

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Oklahoma and I'm planning an elk hunt about 5 years from now with 2 buddys. I have absolutely zero experience hunting elk. That's one of the reasons for the 5 year wait is it gives me plenty of time to acquire all the gear needed. Also gives me plenty of time to save for the tag and learn as much as possible. My plan is to get into the points game of Wyoming. I've had second thoughts thou with Wyomings point creep and New Mexico is closer than Wyoming for me. Which would you pick and why. I've also considered doing both when the time gets here. I've also thought it could be worth while to start taking vacations to both states and scouting every year until I can actually go.

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
Out of the gear I have is a rifle and knives. I've hunted whitetail my entire life but that's not the same at all. Since it's on my farm and I can drive up to the deer and load it in a truck after it's shot. I dont have backpack or decent hunting clothing. I figured I can realistically go next year but the other 2 buddys I have going with me cant financially afford it. Since they have absolutely zero gear. I wouldnt mind going before them and getting the experience in.

bascott1

WKR
Get a good pack and good boots. Both can be had off of here at a good discount. If you can quarter up a whitetail you can quarter up an elk. One week long trip with 0 success is more lessons than 5 years on a laptop. Jack O’Connor killed tons of animals and he never had “high tech” gear like we have today.

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I fully plan my first time out that I wont kill one but if I can find them I'll consider it a successful hunt. Yall are definitely convincing me to let my buddys wait the 5 years and I should start going asap. Elk has always been my dream hunt. There's no adventure in hunting whitetail on a farm when you know exactly which wheat field they are headed to every night.

Yeah you dont get to pick NM, NM picks you lol. Only 6% of tags go to non residents unless you go the landowner voucher route.

The first couple years I started elk hunting I used what I had for whitetail hunting then slowly upgraded things based on what was important to me i.e boots and lighter tent. Just go and figure it out along the way.

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
Well that answers my questions then. I figure I'll get into the points game of Wyoming and put in for new Mexico by myself. If all else fails idaho isn't to far out and if I recall correctly they have OTC tags. Yes I know Colorado does as well but it sounds like Colorado from everything I've read is way to crowded and overpressure.

An inexpensive Osprey or Deuter or Dana Designs pack will do you just fine until you kill something, and then that suck is only temporary. And if you have two buddies that makes it easier. If it were the difference between hunting year x and hunting year x+1 I'd forgo a Kifaru and go a year sooner.

KHNC

WKR
Idaho is crowded just like Colorado, with less elk , more wolves and rougher country. But i agree, going is much better than waiting. You can draw a MT elk GEN tag quicker than wyoming for sure.

Go sooner rather than later. BOOTS are the single most important piece of gear. Spend your time getting the boots that fit you best when you're carrying a reasonable load of about maybe 30-50 lbs.

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I was planning to stay within a 14 hour drive of home. Mountain home idaho is about 15 hours for me plus I have a friend that lives there. I would love to hunt Montana since my wife is from there and has property there as well but to get to her place is a 24 hour drive. I know I'm making excuses but I want the experience and dont want to burn 2 days of driving for Montana.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Do it. Find a landowner tag in NM, even if you have to buy a muzzleloader and make it happen.

You could consider flying to Montana and then make a game plan with extended family to get your meat back if you're successful. Pack what you can in a cooler, have family hold onto and ship your gear and remaining meat in trade for some meat.

As others mentioned, it is far more important to hunt each year than learn from your computer. Nothing replaces experience. Most gear is severely overrated as well. I'm reminded by this every year when I am putting in the miles with all of my gear (I've invested in a lot over the years), and some old dude comes walking out of the wilderness with a shitty old pack, no camo, an old as hell weapon, running shoes and a big old buck or bull on his back while smoking a cigarette. People get so consumed with gear (and it is important to an extent) but not so important that you should pass up any season where you can get out there with an able body. Best of luck...there aren't many adventures like it.