New Mexico or Wyoming

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
This definitely wasnt the response I was expecting but it was the response I needed to get my ass in gear and actually just go try for one and quit worrying about having every piece of gear needed.

JDay23

FNG
Ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain. Don’t put so much effort into super Gucci gear. Half of it you don’t even need. As others have said nothing beats first hand experience. Get out there go explore but if you are to spend money... I’d star with footwear. Boots or trail shoes get something comfy and it makes your life a whole lot better! Best of luck friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Study Wyoming and pick a few units you are interested in. . . Probably general units or low level LE units

Then buy a cow tag - some have reduced priced tags some have full price tags.

By doing this you get to hunt elk, learn a lot about elk, and also learn a unit you plan to hunt bulls in, in the future! When I draw my WY LE tag (hopefully this year) I have 5 different spots I've regularly spotted bulls using during archery and rifle season and another dozen that I know they are occasionally in, so I'm confident that after waiting this long I won't waste my opportunity at a bull.

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I really debated on doing exactly that. I'm after an elk for the experience but mainly the meat. Horns are just a bonus but I can get just as much experience hunting cows. Then use that experience to attempt to harvest a mature bull.

FlyGuy

WKR
I will echo what others have said, don’t wait. I was on that same plan many years ago. I had gotten away from big game hunting after a few career relocations so I didn’t have glass, RF, etc. I’d caught the itch but thought I needed all that stuff so I planned to gradually acquire things over time... I’d give damn near anything to have those years back. I waisted a lot of seasons that I could have been learning. And I do mean I waisted them. I bought gear that I thought was perfect, but every single piece of it that I acquired w/o experience was quickly replaced. At that time I wasn’t plugged into this forum, didn’t even know there was such a thing. Luckily for you, you found it early on.

Here are a few things that I would advise you to do or at least consider, but take everyone’s comments and then make your own mind up.

- The best state to hunt in is the one you draw a tag for.

- if you only buy one piece of gear, I would make it a Garmin InReach. I’m about the worst gear head there is, but the truth is You can make due with a shitty pack for a couple of years. Good packs are awesome, but that really only matters when they’re full of hindquarters... Great boots are awesome too, but I tend to hunt more in my trail running shoes now than anything else... Camo doesn’t matter... But, if you are hunting solo (or even if you aren’t), having the peace of mind and ability to communicate that an InReach brings is priceless. It can make the entire experience seem far less intimidating and overwhelming.

- sign up for Elk101 and do the entire course. That should be a mandatory requirement for anyone to purchase an elk tag in every state IMO.

Good luck to you this Fall. I hope you get out in the elk woods somewhere this year.

You can’t cheat the mountain

ahlgringo

WKR
Some wise words above. One thing I have not seen mentioned though and probably the best service you can do for yourself is- get in shape, if you already are- get in better shape. Nothing will make or break an elk hunt faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Tcole75

Tcole75

Lil-Rokslider
I'm definitely not in good enough shape for an elk hunt yet but once I decided back in November to start planning an elk hunt. I decided then it was time to get in better shape and stay that way so far I'm down 16lbs.

Cliffy12

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado is crowded a mile around the roads. If you get into shape and hike a bit you get away from the crowds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk