New Mexico Oryx guide

Blackdirt Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I was lucky enough to draw an oryx tag this year. It’s in unit 28 on the McGregor range. I’m looking for anyone who’s had this tag and is willing to share any info on it. Is this a hunt I can successfully DIY, or should I hire a guide. I’m leaning towards hiring a guide seeing that it a once in a lifetime tag. If so, can someone recommend a good guide? Thanks for any help you can provide.

DIY, no need for a guide. Oryx are easy to find. The range gives you a map and are very helpful in telling you where the oryx are.

keller

WKR
My cousin had a tag last year.i went along diy they aren't too hard to find.we found a high point and glassed.very fun hunt.nice to have help if you decide to butcher yourself was 85 degrees we brought a freezer and generator. Study pics to judge animals we both could tell when we seen a big male. Get to the gate early we couldn't hunt Friday but the let us in early Saturday morning luckily we were their early.you will get lots of informational emails.best of luck they are fantastic eating.

TBass

FNG
Keller - what caliber did you use? I actually Drew a tag this year and I‘m trying to figure if my 6.5 SAUM’s is enough gun

TBass

FNG
Texans42... thank you for the input. My 6.5 SAUM’s is wickedly accurate (Thank you GA Precision)... and I’ve been a little concerned that the Hornady 143 ELD-X might not have enough giddy-up to go through the shoulder and hit the vitals if I have to take a 500 yard shot. And I really don’t want to jump up in caliber if I don’t have to (I’m a real recoil wuss).

keller

WKR
.270. A 6.5 would be fine as said vitals are further forward like right on shoulder. Both frt shoulders were basically junk.

teamvit

Lil-Rokslider
No need for a guide as others have said. I had the tag in 2017. Very similar to an antelope hunt, drive and glass. Shoot me a message of you have any questions.

I used a 260 with 143gr ELD-X with zero issues.

TBass

FNG
Thank you.... knowing a 260 will do the job reaffirms that the 6.5 Saums will do the trick. Thanks again everyone for your input. I tend to over think things and sweat the small stuff at times.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I had that tag a few years ago and killed a 39 3/4 in cow on the first day right before sundown. I used a 7mm STW with 140 grain Swift A Frames. Fun hunt , can be a little tough to glass but doable without a guide. Get a room in Alamogordo , easier to drive than camp.

22lr

WKR
Congrats on the draw, this hunt has always sounded like a ton of fun.

jburman

FNG
Glad to see people say that DIY is good to go. I got a tag on Stallion Range in January and had this same question.

WCB

WKR
As others have said hit them through the shoulders. They are no tougher than any other animal you just have to hit them in the vitals. Guys hit them behind the shoulder and don't realize this. No experience in NM but in Africa and that is the same with most of the game animals there...not tougher just require a different POI.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
Tough hunt. Did not kill one. A trophy hunt and we would have been done Friday afternoon. I had a good BH bull at 550 yards the first afternoon but had a hard cross wind so didnt risk a bad shot. It is tougher when you have to determine if the are legal or not to shoot rather than is it big enough.