New Mexico OTC Advice

CO2130

WKR
I am new the Auodad hunting, and am heading down from CO to NM on the OTC hunt in March as I ended up having off work and my buddy is on spring break from college. I’m not looking for any info on units or spots. We have some very high end optics (all swaro, ziess, and meopta), we are willing to hike a ton and are in great shape, and hunt and consistently kill mature big animals in CO, UT, WY, and NV. So we do have the basics down and understand it will be some work, but as this is a new species to us I’m just looking for very general and broad advice/pointers or any info on these animals that people would be willing to share. Things such as noticeable patterns, preferred feed, preferred terrain for rams, certain hillsides or canyons facing a certain way, etc. Feel free to PM the info if you would prefer to keep it private. We really appreciate anything people are willing to share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following along as this is something that has peaked my interest as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTS

FNG
I am following this thread also. I went earlier this year and hunted public land in a draw unit with a guide. Our basic strategy was to get into the field around sunup and walk a ways then stop and glass everything we could see and start walking again. My daughter did shoot one on the third day,

The web has a lot of info...I too will hunt next year (OTC) for Barbary sheep when the military removes the current move policies. I only put in for Elk in the draw this year.

Hunts are primarily spot and stalk hunts with shots typically ranging from 150-500. Be ready to walk (loose rock and gravel) for 3 - 5 miles per day. Depending on when you hunt, NM weather can change (sunny to snowy) and always count on winds.

Additional equipment: Glassing mat, knee pads, wpn stabilizer (if hunting rifle) & water!! I learned this as a kid when my father came home from his Desert Bighorn hunt and my mom had fun “assisting” with the cactus!!

Look for places where other hunters cannot drive. I use 1:24,000 Quads that can be accessed for free via Forest Service Websites, as well as, a couple other .gov websites. I also use the State Gazetteer (1:300,00) that I buy for each state that I live(d) in. I have a few after being in the military for over 30 years! I cross reference each of these with OnX to focus my search zones within a GMU.

They are goats (sheep) and need water so check for watering holes. Benches on the cliff sides is where they like to eat, acknowledging those are few and far between. These two help with the map / google earth recons.

Someone said, “that their urine is so concentrated that it stains nearly everything it splashes – rocks, dirt, plants.”

From NM Wildlife magazine (2006-2007)...most of the Barbary sheep habitat consists of the rocky open foothills and escarpments...the sheep also are found in some of the major canyons and drainages...very rarely will you find Barbary sheep in heavy brush or areas with any type of trees. They favor steep open slopes with rock ledges and cliffs, relying heavily on their keen eyesight for protection. The sheep open bed or stand in areas with good visibility.

GRUBECHA

FNG
Focus on cliff bands and gnarly rocky country below the tree/juniper elevation line and then glass until your eyes bleed. Really slow down and pick appart the country, its a lot bigger then it seems at first and it can be really easy to glass right over them if they arent moving.

cronsman

WKR
I took a NM aoudad last year with my bow luckily. These critters are pretty hard to pattern. We would just have to find them day to day and then they aren't pattern able like deer are (i.e. bed mid morning, move twice during the day to feed at night). We watched them move 100 yards one way to turn around and feed 500 yards another lol. Trying to get in front of them was a crap shoot too because of this nomadic type behavior ha.

cronsman

WKR
Look for sheep beds in or on top of cliffs along with sheep poop. I have heard and saw a few places where their urine stains the rocks as well

cronsman

WKR
I would also recommend 15x bino optics. The country they inhabit is huuuuge and I dont think i would have been successful without them