New Mexico outfitter

The Gila aint no gimme hunt. But if hunting with an outfitter, I'd say chances are pretty good you're going home with some bone
Chances are poor actually. We drove well over 100 miles in the Gila. Literally drove around in a Ranger... in areas so deep, I couldn't have walked out if necessary. We sat on water, glassed from hill tops. Nothing !!! Zero. Got skunked on my once in a life time draw.

KHNC

WKR
I hunted the GILA. Yes big bulls are in there, but the success rate is low. I got skunked. Saw 1 bull from the road, and none in the woods. We saw a few cows, 1 doe mulie, 1 wolf. and that's about it. We saw 3 harvested bulls at various camps. Hunted hard 5 days.
If you hunted the GILA and only saw one bull, you were definitely not hunting it correctly.

On the other hand, i did hear all the bulls died off from some disease last couple of years. Probably shouldnt even bother to apply nowadays until they have time to recover.

If you hunted the GILA and only saw one bull, you were definitely not hunting it correctly.

On the other hand, i did hear all the bulls died off from some disease last couple of years. Probably shouldnt even bother to apply nowadays until they have time to recover.

Besides not seeing Bulls. We literally saw 1 mule deer during the entire week. and not one speed goat in the Gila. Not even in the wide open plains. This year I am applying for areas with herds of Elk. 5x5 or 6x6 is fine with me.

KHNC

WKR
Besides not seeing Bulls. We literally saw 1 mule deer during the entire week. and not one speed goat in the Gila. Not even in the wide open plains. This year I am applying for areas with herds of Elk. 5x5 or 6x6 is fine with me.
Good plan.

Probably way out of your budget, but Gila & Apache outfitters are likely one of the best there is in New Mexico. They hunt the Gila and its nearly impossible to get a tag. But if you draw, thats the place to go.

I hunted with them a few years back and had a mostly unfavorable experience. It was our first time with them and everyone else in camp got the main guides, we got stuck with the random guy they grabbed for the 5 days.

All others in camp were on elk and either killed, had shot opportunities, or decided not to shoot at bulls that did not meet their standards. Those guides worked hard and had solid game plans. However we spent most of our time time riding around in the smallest Toyota truck you could imagine, not going after elk we did see because our guide was lazy. When we were walking he constantly moved with the wind at our backs, I can run a bugle tube better than he could as well.

The food was good, and accommodations fine, and I have considered going back honestly but I would be 100% confident I was getting one of the main guides and not a random hired hand for the week.

KHNC

WKR
I hunted with them a few years back and had a mostly unfavorable experience. It was our first time with them and everyone else in camp got the main guides, we got stuck with the random guy they grabbed for the 5 days.

All others in camp were on elk and either killed, had shot opportunities, or decided not to shoot at bulls that did not meet their standards. Those guides worked hard and had solid game plans. However we spent most of our time time riding around in the smallest Toyota truck you could imagine, not going after elk we did see because our guide was lazy. When we were walking he constantly moved with the wind at our backs, I can run a bugle tube better than he could as well.

The food was good, and accommodations fine, and I have considered going back honestly but I would be 100% confident I was getting one of the main guides and not a random hired hand for the week.
I met Michael Delao in 2011 in Reserve at the restaurant his mother owns there. Was a good dude, and they kill a ton of huge bull every year. Ive never hunted with him though. Way out of my budget! lol. But the success rates appear to be phenomenal. It always sucks when these high dollar operations hire a shit bag to guide a client in an area like the Gila. I guess they all are guilty of this at some point. I only hunt DIY now, but i doubt i ever draw a Gila tag again in my lifetime.

I met Michael Delao in 2011 in Reserve at the restaurant his mother owns there. Was a good dude, and they kill a ton of huge bull every year. Ive never hunted with him though. Way out of my budget! lol. But the success rates appear to be phenomenal. It always sucks when these high dollar operations hire a shit bag to guide a client in an area like the Gila. I guess they all are guilty of this at some point. I only hunt DIY now, but i doubt i ever draw a Gila tag again in my lifetime.
Yeah I can't afford to be an every year guy either! That experience soured me for guided hunts and I doubt I will ever go on one again. My last two hunts were DIY, and I loved the entire experience from escouting through the hunt and the debrief on what to do different next time.

I'll keep trying to draw another Gila tag, but same as you the odds seem low I'll ever get to go back!

KHNC

WKR
Yeah I can't afford to be an every year guy either! That experience soured me for guided hunts and I doubt I will ever go on one again. My last two hunts were DIY, and I loved the entire experience from escouting through the hunt and the debrief on what to do different next time.

I'll keep trying to draw another Gila tag, but same as you the odds seem low I'll ever get to go back!
If you ever draw again, hit me up. I know a few terrific areas from my 2015 hunt.

Chances are poor actually. We drove well over 100 miles in the Gila. Literally drove around in a Ranger... in areas so deep, I couldn't have walked out if necessary. We sat on water, glassed from hill tops. Nothing !!! Zero. Got skunked on my once in a life time draw.
The Gila has chewed up and spit out many hunters. Including me a time or 2. However I’ve never not had opportunities in the Gila. But I understand it happens. Frustrating for sure if you aren’t seeing or hearing anything………

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider

Yeah I hunted with Gila Apache outfitters in 2022 had similar experience very disappointing lazy inexperienced pot smoking guide poor camp site also cost $50 for guide license in NM so everyone has one don’t mean much

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Nephew wants to go on his dream hunt for elk. Would like to have a good hunt and lets just use a solid "300 class bull" as his goal. Money isn't unlimited so lets say $8,000.00 to 10,000.00 for a budget. I have been looking all over and there are many options. Looking for firm references from those who have been there and done it. Thanks.

PS: Any other states or guides recommended are welcome as well.
I hunted NM unit 16B in 2022 best elk habitat I’ve seen as far as feed and water compared to where I’ve hunted in Colorado and Montana saw a lot of impressive racks in pickups at campground on our way out we had really bad experience with Gila Apache outfitters from Reserve ran into some guys at bar after hunt had nothing but good things to say about Bighorn outfitters they spent considerably less money too

Riplip

WKR
If you want to hunt 16B I would recommend Tom Klumker of San Francisco River Outfitters. Very tough to find anything negative out there on Tom's outfit and he knows the area as good if not better than anyone.