New Mexico Outfitters

huntr6

FNG
I know this is primarily a DIY forum, but I think I'm going on a guided hunt for my first trip west. Planning on a elk hunt in the Gila area. I have narrowed it down to Black Mountain Outfitters, Hunt Hard Outfitters, David Mathews Outfitting, and San Francisco River Outfitters. Anything you can tell me good or bad about these would be a big help. This is a big deal to me because of the money so thanks for any help.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Carlton Armstrong with Southwest New Mexico Trophy Outfitters. Doesn't get any better...class act and kills monster bulls. He has lived there all his life and is an avid hunter as well as premier outfitter. I hunted with him a number of times.

JPD350

WKR
You won't go wrong with San Francisco Outfitters! Being a local I don't need a guide but I can say that Tom is a stand up guy who cares about his clients, hunts some awesome country and they kill some great bulls every year.

NoWiser

WKR
I've heard good things about many of those outfitters. I'm a DIY guy but got to know the owner of ElkVentures Outfitters while hunting NM the last two years. He isn't as well known as the other guys, but if I was going to look into a guided hunt in the Gila, I wouldn't look anywhere else but him. Getting the tag will be the tough part. Good luck.

KHNC

WKR
I think you should contact Michael Delao with Gila & Apache outfitters. He lives right in Reserve. I haven't seen any other outfitters kill the quality of animals that he and his guides put hunters on each year. Its amazing.

OP
H

huntr6

FNG
Thank you all for the info. Im looking into everything. Please keep it coming.

Riplip

WKR
Hired Tom at SFRO to pack us and our gear into the Gila a few years ago. PM me if you want some more info or have any questions.

rfc86

FNG
I hunted with Black Mountain Outfitters in 2014 and had a great time. Tom McReynolds is the owner and runs a great operation.

Shepherd

Lil-Rokslider
I also hunted with Black Mountain Outfitters (twice). But make sure you understand which tag you get from them. This wasn't explained when we hunted the second time and one in our group had more of a limited area to hunt than the others, which was an unpleasant surprise. Great area though and a huge private ranch with excellent habitat. Good facilities and guides, very good food.