New Mexico Quarantine- Looking for Thoughts

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I have an archery antelope tag coming up quick. I was planning on going Aug 2-8, nonresident coming from Florida. As of right now, and looks like it will probably continue into Elk/Deer season, there is a 14 day quarantine order making it technically illegal for anyone coming into the state from out of state (even residents leaving and going back). I don't want to argue about whether the virus is real, masks work, fear mongering, whether it is constitutional, politics, etc. etc. These are just the facts as they exist:

1) There is a virus, it kills some amount of people
2) There is a Quarantine Order in NM, I know it hasn't been enforced forcefully yet, but if you read the language of it, it gives them some pretty liberal powers if they wanted to exercise them (whether in the long run it being legal or not).
3) I have a valid tag issued by NM game and fish

After 3-4 emails and waiting on hold for 45 minutes I got through to NM game and fish. They were about as much help as could be expected. They just said I should be ok in a not so confident manor, I asked if I had any other options or opinions, they said no, and then hung up. My plan is to stay in a small town, airbnb (should be contactless check-in), sleep there and hunt all day on BLM surrounding the town. I'm bringing food, but will possibly need to supplement by going to a store once, and will be needing gas/ice. At some point, there will be some contact, minimal but likely unavoidable. Here are my concerns:

1) I am not worried about the virus, if I get it, i'll be fine. I know chances are slim and this isn't my main concern but I do not want to get there and end up in a weird situation. Could be at airport when I am arriving from FL with gear that is obviously not going to be useful to someone in quarantine or locals that don't want me there that see me leaving the airbnb every day... We are living in a crazy world and crazy things are happening, I have a much bigger hunt on the 14th and don't need to get there stuck in some kind of quarantine situation (rare but happened to some family friends in FL).

2) My main concern: I am not a careless individual, I don't want to endanger someone's grandmother or local communities that have very few resources to begin with

Just looking for other people's thoughts on this, specifically people that will be in similar situations coming up real soon. Really don't want this to get political, just look as the situation as it is. I'm aware I'll be the one who has to decide but other perspectives are always helpful.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
I will be hunting elk, mule deer, and speed goats in NM this year as well. I have been thinking the same. My first thought was just to say I have been quarantined in a tent for the last 14 days, or repurchase all tags and license and never even see any official(s). It’s all scary.

These are my thoughts.

I vehemently disagree with the quarentine order.

However, it was enacted to lessen the surge of every Tom, Dick, and Harry from coming to the state to see and do whatever.

The order is self-conflicting. The NM DOT website will tell you to shack up for two weeks, even if you're only staying one night. The dept of health webpage will say two weeks or the duration of your stay, whichever is shortest and to keep actual contact to a minimum. It will also say no two weeks if just passing through and OK to just stop long enough to get fuel.

The health dept page also states the borders are not closed and state roads are open. No state police are sitting at the state lines turning non-residents away or pulling you over unless for things that may appear you are impaired.

The federal lands agencies state they recommend you follow state guidelines as far as preventive measures. Game and Fish's response is typical, first the letter of the law followed by the spirit of the law. Near impossible to actually enforce since the burden of proof is on the state you indeed require quarentine because you are carrying the "Walking Dead zombie virus".

I know for a fact people are driving back and forth on a daily basis.

I would pull up a 2016 election map of NM to see how the area where you're hunting voted. That should tell you what you need to know...

NoWiser

WKR
If I were in your situation, I'd load everything I need up for the entire trip, including food for the road, and I'd drive there. Do nothing except for pay at the pump. If you can pull off the trip and stay 6' away from any person, which should be doable, I think you can go on your hunt with a clear conscience.

dtrkyman

WKR
I live in Santa Fe, the out of state plates in town are plentiful, as well as the outdoor dining and just general tourist activity in the square is fairly busy, no way all the folks walking around town are local, it was a complete ghost town in April on the initial lock down.

I split time between here and Illinois and my Jeep has Illinois plates, I have been all over the state since the first week of June and haven't even noticed a person gawking at my plates and wondering if I have polluted the whole state.

Come hunt, be smart, keep your distance from older folks and wear a mask in public. Stay way from Albuquerque if you can, not much craziness here but that is where one would find it!

Really easy to social distance on a hunt, I traveled all over this spring turkey hunting with no issue.

OP
Turkeygetpwnd38

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
If I were in your situation, I'd load everything I need up for the entire trip, including food for the road, and I'd drive there. Do nothing except for pay at the pump. If you can pull off the trip and stay 6' away from any person, which should be doable, I think you can go on your hunt with a clear conscience.
This would be ideal and what I am doing for the rest of my fall hunts, but unfortunately not an option for this one, it'll be fly or nothing.

Brooks

WKR
IMO it’s going to depend on how many people die from Covid between now and Sept. As of right now the Gov is giving orders and not many non residents are paying much attention to them. We had the first death from it last week in the county I live in and a lot of new cases. The Mescalero res shut down completly to all non Indian, roads and all except for us highways running through it. If things really get worse our liberal Gov will probably crack her whip.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Clovis, NM. There must be alot of Texans quarantining in NM if the amount of traffic on 60/84 is any indication.
Likewise, I live near Clayton and the flood of Texas plates is no different from any past summer. I can't wait for fall when they all go home ;)

Loco4dux

WKR
Wonder if anything has been communicated to the New Mexico guides on how to proceed with clients.... I'll be following along here.

Gila

WKR
We are still in a stay at home order. July 1st is the latest exec order for air travel that I can find. Look half way down the page for the link to the air travel executive order: https://abqsunport.com/at-sunport/covid-19/

Technically you can't leave your place of self isolation at all for 14 days (or length of stay if shorter) except for medical treatment. The Health Dept can have you detained for a violation. The spread here is almost exponential now. Last week the Governor had some harsh language. The travel situation could change tomorrow and those changes would only be more restrictive in the near future. Masks are mandatory. Just the facts here so people can make up their own minds.

Last edited:

Gila

WKR
I live in Santa Fe, the out of state plates in town are plentiful, as well as the outdoor dining and just general tourist activity in the square is fairly busy, no way all the folks walking around town are local, it was a complete ghost town in April on the initial lock down.

I split time between here and Illinois and my Jeep has Illinois plates, I have been all over the state since the first week of June and haven't even noticed a person gawking at my plates and wondering if I have polluted the whole state.

Come hunt, be smart, keep your distance from older folks and wear a mask in public. Stay way from Albuquerque if you can, not much craziness here but that is where one would find it!

Really easy to social distance on a hunt, I traveled all over this spring turkey hunting with no issue.
Santa Fe is rather diverse, many non-res have temporary homes there. The spread of Covid is a wildfire there right now. Small villages not so much as non-res stick out like a sore thumb.

14308bea4630ffa82600a3f3e92a324f.jpg

There’s your wildfire. I just spent the weekend backpacking with a buddy that is an ER nurse at the hospital in Santa. Don’t believe the hype.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZDR

WKR
Enjoy your hunt. Don’t believe the hype. Keep to yourself. When our gov start following her own orders maybe I’ll take her serious then.
We regularly go between NM and Co.- no issues, no concerns.

There is no data supporting the health orders being imposed. Cases increasing and deaths are on a downward trend is a good thing regardless of what fauci says.

The burden of proof is on the state to detain you against your will for more than 48 hrs. All they could do is "make" you get a test to verify the presence of a coronavirus. If negative, they have no case.

Agreed though, with this "governor" who knows what stupidity is next...

Reactions: ZDR
I wouldn’t worry about it. I’ve seen plates from all over the country and no one even blinks. Wear a mask in the stores and that’s it. Most of us in the rural areas and small towns are pretty relaxed. Stay away from Albuquerque or drive through as quick as possible.