New Mexico Question

Carr5vols

WKR
My 15 yr old son is asking me to take him to New Mexico for an OTC auodad hunt. He is out of school the 1st week in October is this to early in the year to go? Have been doing research just want him to have the best hunt possible.

From what I understand they rut in the fall so it might not be a bad time to go, but the OTC hunts are a low odds proposition no matter what. My first attempt I hunted hard for a week last spring and only saw one Sheep the entire time. Unless you and your son are dead set on pursuing those things, there are probably some better hunts for your money in various Western States during October.

OP
Carr5vols

Carr5vols

WKR
He is pretty dead set on going after them. He did antelope two years ago and loved it. I would go after mule deer but there is no otc hunts I can find the week he is off and he does not have the points i do to draw a decent tag.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
He is pretty dead set on going after them. He did antelope two years ago and loved it. I would go after mule deer but there is no otc hunts I can find the week he is off and he does not have the points i do to draw a decent tag.
Just make sure you are buying him points in Wyoming and Arizona. The licenses are super cheap! Also you could try for the youth elk tags in New Mexico also that would be the dates you are looking at.

It never hurts to try, the OTC has been hammered the last few years but is still doable IMO.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Just make sure you are buying him points in Wyoming and Arizona. The licenses are super cheap! Also you could try for the youth elk tags in New Mexico also that would be the dates you are looking at.
+1
a.png