New Mexico Speedgoat Unit 36

Desert Hntr

Lil-Rokslider
Well I am lucky enough to have some great friends, one of which presented me with a private land antelope tag at the last min while I was on my ibex hunt in the Florida mountains south of Deming NM. All my help had to go back to work so the last weekend would have been solo and if you k ow anything about ibex, solo is nearly impossible especially for a newer goat hu tr such as myself. It was my first western species 3 years ago and I ha e been hooked ever since, they are a blast to hunt. I killed my first antelope with a bow last year with my dad tagging along which made it more memorable. This year I was solo and determined to do it again. I drove into the unit at 1000 and by 1015 was spotting goats. I immediately decided on a plan and was dropping my pack and crawling up a hill to get an eye on em. Got about 20 yards from my pack and noticed them feeding over the hill 200 yards to my right. I immediately started crawling back down to get some cover behind a yucca. Once I got there I was going to range some bushes and realized I didn't have my range finder so I was cussing as I crawled back up the hill looking and then back to cover. I started making mental calculations on bushes as the est. 60sh goats fed right toward me. Sitting on my knees with my feet going completely numb and hurting like hell at the same time, I was surrounded my goats within 15 min with about 15 doe within 20 yards and 4 bucks within 80. The biggest one fed in from my back left and got to my estimated 60 yard bush and as I drew he quarter away and for some stupid reason I started to second guess my yardage. I decided not to shoot him and drew down. No idea how I wasnt busted yet. But as soon as I reached for my sight to adjust a dose busted my ass, man them ladies got some keen eye sight. Well they blew out and so did the best chance I would have on my 3 day hunt. I went on multiple stalks over the next few days including quite a few in the cold snowy weather that came in the last day but ended up pulling out the rifle at noon the last day and making sure I wasnt eating tag soup when I got home. Not a bad buck but really makes me regret not releasing the arrow on that first one. Till next year......
53372fe25a7f78e30bd5fc020bbfb3ac.jpg
77ad89c6faa212ece1b5fa6aac59d62e.jpg
6c275a307a94aa800fa1003ddf00ff79.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Well I am lucky enough to have some great friends, one of which presented me with a private land antelope tag at the last min while I was on my ibex hunt in the Florida mountains south of Deming NM. All my help had to go back to work so the last weekend would have been solo and if you k ow anything about ibex, solo is nearly impossible especially for a newer goat hu tr such as myself. It was my first western species 3 years ago and I ha e been hooked ever since, they are a blast to hunt. I killed my first antelope with a bow last year with my dad tagging along which made it more memorable. This year I was solo and determined to do it again. I drove into the unit at 1000 and by 1015 was spotting goats. I immediately decided on a plan and was dropping my pack and crawling up a hill to get an eye on em. Got about 20 yards from my pack and noticed them feeding over the hill 200 yards to my right. I immediately started crawling back down to get some cover behind a yucca. Once I got there I was going to range some bushes and realized I didn't have my range finder so I was cussing as I crawled back up the hill looking and then back to cover. I started making mental calculations on bushes as the est. 60sh goats fed right toward me. Sitting on my knees with my feet going completely numb and hurting like hell at the same time, I was surrounded my goats within 15 min with about 15 doe within 20 yards and 4 bucks within 80. The biggest one fed in from my back left and got to my estimated 60 yard bush and as I drew he quarter away and for some stupid reason I started to second guess my yardage. I decided not to shoot him and drew down. No idea how I wasnt busted yet. But as soon as I reached for my sight to adjust a dose busted my ass, man them ladies got some keen eye sight. Well they blew out and so did the best chance I would have on my 3 day hunt. I went on multiple stalks over the next few days including quite a few in the cold snowy weather that came in the last day but ended up pulling out the rifle at noon the last day and making sure I wasnt eating tag soup when I got home. Not a bad buck but really makes me regret not releasing the arrow on that first one. Till next year......
53372fe25a7f78e30bd5fc020bbfb3ac.jpg
77ad89c6faa212ece1b5fa6aac59d62e.jpg
6c275a307a94aa800fa1003ddf00ff79.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hunting what matter not the method brother. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet, really looking forward to applying in NM this year.

Make sure you understand the changes for this year if you are a nonresident. The change from being assigned a ranch to now requiring written permission is going to cost the DIY hunter more money IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cBurton5

FNG
Make sure you understand the changes for this year if you are a nonresident. The change from being assigned a ranch to now requiring written permission is going to cost the DIY hunter more money IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Man that’s a bummer. How do you get permission if don’t know a landowner?

Fitzwho

WKR
There are a couple units with enough public land to get a hunt done. But there are many more units that will be almost impossible to hunt without landowner permission/trespass fee. I wouldn't be surprised if you start seeing a couple of the units become an almost 100% draw because you will have to pay for access. But if you are willing to pay for that, you don't need to apply because landowner's can now sell as many vouchers as the wish. I'm applying this year for a unit I have spent some time in quail hunting, but this will likely be the last year I apply for Pronghorn in NM.

As far as getting a voucher, with as many as will be available, I think you will see them posted for sale all over the place. If they get cheap enough you will also see Outfitters picking them up and reselling to the DIY crowd.