New Mexico- Spotting scope or not?

Would y’all bring a spotting scope to a NM fall bear hunt? We’re backpacking for 7 days and obviously concerned about weight. Before I had one for use at the range, I wasn’t planning on spending the money. FWIW it’s a Nikon ED50 w/16x eyepiece. I also have a pair of Athlon Cronus 10x42.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you just going to shoot any bear or are you wanting to try and judge size/quality? If you are wanting to be picky, take a spotter. If you don’t care, no need.

OP
jeffhelland
Are you just going to shoot any bear or are you wanting to try and judge size/quality? If you are wanting to be picky, take a spotter. If you don’t care, no need.

It’s my first western hunt, I’m not going to be picky. Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dtrkyman

WKR
Bino's on a tripod, 15s are money but 10s will be ok, a moving bear is not hard to pick out or one in the open, but they tend to dissapear in the oak brush!

Since my spotter is compact and only weighs 28oz, I never need to ask that question. It's ALWAYS in my pack. I like to assess an animal before I invest time, sweat and boot leather.

On the other hand, you've stated that you're willing to tag any animal. In that case, you should be just fine with your binos.