New Mexico unit 12

Atmccary

FNG
I'm going to hunt NM in late October and just curious what I should expect (terrain and weather). Any info will be great. This will be my first western hunt. Thanks

The weather will be mild but a little cool in the evening. Terrain is as easy as it gets for elk hunting. Large flat expanses of pinon-juniper and some canyons with ponderosa. Altitude is probably around 6500 to 7500 feet. Very large bulls on some of the better managed ranches but tough to hunt post rut. It depends on what ranch your hunting but that's the cliff notes version.

I hunted 12 this past season. Passed on many nice bulls. Drought had everything fouled up last year but, this year looks extremely promising. I see you are from GA, it will be an easy hunt for you if you are in decent walking around shape. Probably the easiest elk unit for a flatlander (myself) that I have ever experienced! Going back again!

travelert

FNG
I hunted 12 this past season. Passed on many nice bulls. Drought had everything fouled up last year but, this year looks extremely promising. I see you are from GA, it will be an easy hunt for you if you are in decent walking around shape. Probably the easiest elk unit for a flatlander (myself) that I have ever experienced! Going back again!

I drew a December archery elk tag for unit 12. I know it will be a tough one, but I’m going to give it my best! I’ll have about a week to scout in person but between now and then, I’d love to chat with someone who’s explored the unit. Would you be willing to chat with me?

Thanks

I’m from Georgia and hunted 13 during second archery this year. 13 borders 12. 13 wasn’t bad and I’m not in the greatest shape. Altitude isn’t bad either your body will adjust quickly. From everything I’ve heard about 12, it isn’t bad at all. Was in 17 two years and parts of it were kinda rough.

travelert

FNG
I’m from Georgia and hunted 13 during second archery this year. 13 borders 12. 13 wasn’t bad and I’m not in the greatest shape. Altitude isn’t bad either your body will adjust quickly. From everything I’ve heard about 12, it isn’t bad at all. Was in 17 two years and parts of it were kinda rough.
Thanks for the info.

Cohunter9

FNG
I’ve hunter unit 12 7-8 times for deer and elk. It’s a really fun unit to hunt. Make sure you have a gps/OnX before you head out. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

travelert

FNG
I’ve hunter unit 12 7-8 times for deer and elk. It’s a really fun unit to hunt. Make sure you have a gps/OnX before you head out. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

Sounds like you’d have some info. Would love to hear. I’m new to this forum so I actually can’t PM yet. I have to earn the right apparently. Maybe you’d be willing to email me at Salmon & Sable? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelert

FNG
Cohunter9, I'd love to chat with you before I ship out to NM unit 12 Dec. 7.

chops24

WKR
Sridge, just so you know travelert joined on Apr 25th and was last seen Nov 29th of 2019. I'm not saying he wont reply, but there are a ton of people just prior to their hunts that they have never been asking for help and disappearing. Click on their name and you will be able to see their "stats".

Sridge, just so you know travelert joined on Apr 25th and was last seen Nov 29th of 2019. I'm not saying he wont reply, but there are a ton of people just prior to their hunts that they have never been asking for help and disappearing. Click on their name and you will be able to see their "stats".

youre correct about this...i used to "help" out a lot more and now dont really say crap anymore because of this.

travelert

FNG
Just saw this post and was curious how your December bowhunt went.
I did the 6 points or more elk bow hunt in Unit 12 this winter. It was my first elk hunt. I didn't get one but I had a great hunt and learned so much! When you start from zero, you can only improve. There was some major rain just before we got there so the roads were wrecked. We had a big 4X4 truck but we couldn't drive on a lot of dirt/gravel roads. As in, sliding sideways down the road in the dark in 12 inches of the slickest mud I've ever seen. And some of these were the "major" roads. So we had to pick our spots based on that. As you can imagine, most of the spots I had e-scouted turned out to be no good. There is so much private land in this unit. It's also wide open with short junipers. So a few square miles of public surrounded by private feels almost unhuntably small.

I was assuming the larger elk would be in remote areas so I was looking for that. I identified 2 large and somewhat inaccessible areas--the only 2 "remote" areas I could find once I was in the landscape. One area I didn't explore because we didn't have the time and I figured the roads would be impassable. The other is where I spent all my time. We saw a half dozen bulls, but all less than 6X6. I saw some nice elk and got really close to a few. Elk I certainly would have shot if I had the right tag. I saw 2 6X6 elk but I couldn't seal the deal on either by the time the period was over. We only found those larger elk once we backpacked in to a remote spot. Once I was in I discovered 2 track roads, but I had no idea where they connected to a main road. I never saw anyone on these roads. There was no one else hunting this unit that I saw anyway.

I had an awesome time and learned so much. To me that's a success. Maybe I'll get one next time. I put in for some new areas in New Mexico this year. Thanks to those who helped me on this forum!

Traveler

Reactions: MHO