New Mexico Unit 16

I drew this tag this year luckily, looking for any insight as to the likely hood of pulling a Coues Deer out of this area.. Has anyone ever hunted it and what do you think of the unit? It is an any antlered tag in early November.

Thanks

AOG

BBob

WKR
Unit 16 for deer is a huge unit encompassing all the 16's, A, B, C, D & E. Looking just for Coues would narrow the search dramatically as most of "16" is mule deer country.

OP
A
Unit 16 for deer is a huge unit encompassing all the 16's, A, B, C, D & E. Looking just for Coues would narrow the search dramatically as most of "16" is mule deer country.
Yes I have been researching that. I took a nice coues out of 22 back in 2020. I would imagine the areas in 16 bordering units that hold Coues would be a place to start. Perhaps even in the Gila Wilderness outer edges..

BBob

WKR
I believe you'd be on the right track to glass all along that edge on up around and including the NW boundaries ;)

Last edited:
OP
A
I believe you'd be on the right track to glass all along that edge on up around the NW boundaries ;)
What are your thoughts on quality class for Muleys in this unit? I won't pass up a shooter should I happen upon one first.