New Mexico Unit 16E

Hello,

After four years of not drawing elk in NM as a resident I finally drew 16E for Elk, Bow, Second hunt. If you are from NM you understand how pumped I am to get anything. I put in for this unit because I heard there can be good bull’s and its a tough hunt. I know its not the best unit in NM but again I just wanted something and I’ll put in the work to fill the tag. However, a lot of the unit looks BLM and State Land but its my understanding that most of the roads have locked gates. We plan on bringing a side by side to get deep into the unit before abandoning it to walk on foot.

If you are willing to share, I would appreciate some information on how to get in the unit through a gate or two. I’m in ABQ and want as much information before heading down there to scout the unit. Plan on going Hwy 60 -> 52 -> 163 entering from the south of the unit. Either to Luero Mountain or Pelona Mountain.

Thanks for the information!

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I'm commenting to follow because I have the first one. Sounds like the plan you've laid out is exactly what everyone wants to do.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Had the first archery hunt in 2017. The west side of Pelona- Coyote peaks area gets hit hard...as this access is easiest. There is access through a piece that is private. On the west side. Most of what I found on the north side is locked gates, but there is one road that is unlocked for sure. The easement access for Luero is from the south- pretty rough road and everyone is on it. Various parts of the unit there was elk out in the flat stuff, but super hard to close in on. Landowners in this unit act like all the land is private- fences with signs saying no trespassing private land, in the middle of a public chunk. I would recommend going and driving all the roads one day to see where all the access points are. Unless it has changed, you cant camp on State land, so campers / tents pile up on the BLM.

KHNC

WKR
Had the first archery hunt in 2017. The west side of Pelona- Coyote peaks area gets hit hard...as this access is easiest. There is access through a piece that is private. On the west side. Most of what I found on the north side is locked gates, but there is one road that is unlocked for sure. The easement access for Luero is from the south- pretty rough road and everyone is on it. Various parts of the unit there was elk out in the flat stuff, but super hard to close in on. Landowners in this unit act like all the land is private- fences with signs saying no trespassing private land, in the middle of a public chunk. I would recommend going and driving all the roads one day to see where all the access points are. Unless it has changed, you cant camp on State land, so campers / tents pile up on the BLM.
I wouldnt worry about replying. Hes not coming back. lol