New Mexico Unit 2

Kcam

FNG
My Daughter drew Unit 2 New Mexico Muzzleloader tag. I was wondering if anyone had any information on early season tactics for the area for DIY or personal experience with a outfitter or could point us the right direction Amy help greatly appreciated

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Find Water and you WILL FIND ELK. There Are NO OTHER game plans for that unit. Lots of glassing. I walked for 3 days till I found water. Checked about 60 0r 70 pre E-SCOUTED water holes till I found a couple with water. The next three days were EPIC. 330" 6X6.

TodOz

FNG
Kcam - I also drew unit 2 muzzy. I’ve been searching everywhere for info on the unit. Not much out there. A couple outfitters have some high level info on their sites but that’s it. I’ve been e-scouting a bunch with OnX and google earth. A ton of gas roads in the unit. Even in the forested area (2B). It’s unclear how many of those are passable with vehicles. I’ve been focusing on areas that are further from the roads and also marking water. There are so many roads it’s tough to do in unit 2.

Last edited:

Sako76

WKR
I never found any water sources in Unit 2 when I hunted there, I did find a bunch of dried up wallows. When I asked the guide where do the elk drink water, he shrugged his shoulders and said they find it! Good luck.

TodOz

FNG
It’s sounding like finding water sources is going to be the key. I’ve been marking what I find but I have no idea which ones will actually have water come October. I plan to get there two days early. I might spend both of those days locating water.

Very little water but when you find it it’s like finding a lost gold mine. They should still be screaming pretty good in early October but every year is different. It’s big country and lots of it. There are a lot of roads but most have locked gates. Wouldn’t even be able to access most of the unit if it wasn’t for the gas industry building all the roads. I’ve killed a few bulls on the archery hunt and plenty of late season cows with a rifle. Just wish I could draw the deer tag. Definitely took that for granted when I was a kid and bought an OTC deer tag every year for this unit.

h8brick

FNG
Very little water but when you find it it’s like finding a lost gold mine. They should still be screaming pretty good in early October but every year is different. It’s big country and lots of it. There are a lot of roads but most have locked gates. Wouldn’t even be able to access most of the unit if it wasn’t for the gas industry building all the roads. I’ve killed a few bulls on the archery hunt and plenty of late season cows with a rifle. Just wish I could draw the deer tag. Definitely took that for granted when I was a kid and bought an OTC deer tag every year for this unit.
Which deer tag? 2c i am assuming , i drew a 2b tag first time putting in!! I am going guided with Anthony Hampton

Gila

WKR
Find Water and you WILL FIND ELK. There Are NO OTHER game plans for that unit. Lots of glassing. I walked for 3 days till I found water. Checked about 60 0r 70 pre E-SCOUTED water holes till I found a couple with water. The next three days were EPIC. 330" 6X6.
Not all water sources are holding elk. That is New Mexico elk hunting....period!

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Every water hole I found was being Smashed. I only found 2 in 13 days of walking but the instant I did it was Game on. Bears wild horses deer and elk all at the same hole. SO WORTH the boot leather!

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
I never heard a bugle, was there from 10/6-10/10.
That's crazy isn't it? I was there 13th thru 23rd. Never heard one until the 19th then it was ,like a Mother nature light switch had gone off. Bugleled there beads off first and last 30minutes of daylight.

Been getting a ton of rain lately. Bring your tire chains! Lol it may be dried out by the third week of October though. NM weather is finicky however. Dry and hot to cold and wet in just a few hours. Or worse, dry and friggin cold and clear.

TodOz

FNG
Been getting a ton of rain lately. Bring your tire chains! Lol it may be dried out by the third week of October though. NM weather is finicky however. Dry and hot to cold and wet in just a few hours. Or worse, dry and friggin cold and clear.

Looks like we will be getting cold and clear for 9-13th muzzy hunt. Low around 30 degrees a couple nights according to forecast.