New Mexico Unit 23: good paper map?

I drew my first archery mule deer tag in New Mexico unit 23. It will be my first archery hunt of any kind, and first time hunting New Mexico.

Starting the scouting process, and one thing I am having trouble finding online is a good paper map of the unit. I am in Arizona, where they have flatline maps, which I can’t recommend highly enough. Anyone know of a good paper map for New Mexico units?

spectrum

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats, man I am really curious to see how you do. I've hunted that unit quite a bit for deer and elk, its not easy. Buy a lion tag if you plan to hunt south in the mule creek area, every time I've hunted it I've glassed up a lion. That unit is not managed for quality deer, but you may find some in the wilderness area.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Schiffer, Ruggedmaps.com has the unit 23 split N & S. If your in the Burrows there is an offset map I think- forest service map is free both online and at the rangers station. Glenwood or Silver city. You draw the muley or coues?

OP
S
Schiffer, Ruggedmaps.com has the unit 23 split N & S. If your in the Burrows there is an offset map I think- forest service map is free both online and at the rangers station. Glenwood or Silver city. You draw the muley or coues?

Thanks! Exactly the kind of map I wanted. I know the way of the future (and present) is Garmins and cell phones, but I just like having an actual map to lay out on the floor.

I got the muley tag September 1st - 24th, which excludes the Burro Mountain area. Tentative plan is to look from Mule Creek up north to Glenwood and east towards the Arizona border, so the north 23 ruggedmaps should be just the ticket.

As much as I would dig getting a lion, I am going to be struggling to find (let alone get an arrow into) any deer. I don’t have any illusions about a trophy, mainly hope to learn a lot and have one good morning or afternoon where I work to a good spot and glass up some animals. Seeing a couple bull elk fight would maybe even be cooler than getting a muley.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck on the hunt. You got a good area picked out. There are some elk in there, I bet you will hear some bugles. If you plan on sitting water, I would get a lion tag, but it is hard to justify the NR cost.

spectrum

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen elk in the fields along the highway between Glenwood and Alma. I would not count out the high country along the Arizona New Mexico border up towards Luna during that time of year when its still hot out. I've seen some nice bucks and found some nice sheds up there. There's a lot of country where you have to hike and cant drive in.

Last edited:
OP
S
I've seen elk in the fields along the highway between Glenwood and Alma. I would not count out the high country along the Arizona New Mexico border up towards Luna during that time of year when its still hot out. I've seen some nice bucks and found some nice sheds up there. There's a lot of country where you have to hike and cant drive in.

Thank you! That sounds exactly like the kind of country I am looking for. Plus, the closer I get to the Arizona line the easier I can take some spotting scope peaks into Arizona unit 27 should I ever get a tag in there.

gburk

WKR
My boy has an early archery elk tag in 23 this year. Don’t yet have much of a plan, but PM me if you’d like to share info.

It sounds like you've already got your map situation figured out, but I figured I'd chime in anyway. I drew a November mulie rifle tag in 23 this year, and I ordered a map from mytopo.com. Ive been looking for a good map to practice the ol' land nav skills with for a while, and the map I got from them fits the bill perfectly. Ruggedmaps looks like a good option too, although I didn't see any way to do much customization with the map.

Good luck on your hunt; I spent some time in unit 23 for Coues in 2020 and saw some nice mulies in the area you're planning on.

OP
S
How did the hunt go?
I saw an owl, which was the coolest animal I saw. It was a strike out, but I learned and was blown away by how beautiful the unit was. It was crazy how the area around Mule Creek was an entirely differnet environment from when you drive a short hop north to Luna. (I kind of want to buy a house in Luna.)

The lack of success is entirely attributable to me. I didn't sout like I should have and my first couple days of hunting was what scouting should have been, just learning the layout of the unit. It is a tough hunt to succeed in to begin with (they actually had leftover tags after the draw), so not putting in the requisite work ahead of time made the lack of success predictable.

I really do like the unit though, it will be my New Mexico selection from here on out now that I know it a little bit, and is relatively close to where I live In Arizona.

I do get a second shot as holders of this tag can go after a doe in January around Silver City. Anyone know a landowner in the area who has a doe that owes them money and isn't paying?

I saw an owl, which was the coolest animal I saw. It was a strike out, but I learned and was blown away by how beautiful the unit was. It was crazy how the area around Mule Creek was an entirely differnet environment from when you drive a short hop north to Luna. (I kind of want to buy a house in Luna.)

The lack of success is entirely attributable to me. I didn't sout like I should have and my first couple days of hunting was what scouting should have been, just learning the layout of the unit. It is a tough hunt to succeed in to begin with (they actually had leftover tags after the draw), so not putting in the requisite work ahead of time made the lack of success predictable.

I really do like the unit though, it will be my New Mexico selection from here on out now that I know it a little bit, and is relatively close to where I live In Arizona.

I do get a second shot as holders of this tag can go after a doe in January around Silver City. Anyone know a landowner in the area who has a doe that owes them money and isn't paying?
Don’t know anyone down there but I will say this is the most/best personal accountability for a lack of success that I’ve seen on the Ol forum before. Good on ya. Off season’s a great time to reboot, rebuild, and re-engage in prep for next year!

gburk

WKR
thanks for the report. based on my limited experience i might look south towards the desert for deer next time? Up north seems like great elk country but maybe not so great for deer. We elk hunted the north part of unit first archery season and didn't see many deer, a handful of mule deer does and a few WTs. I'm sure there are pockets of greatness in or around wilderness, if you can find them.

Don't know any landowners offering second chance access around Silver, either.. and i've had occasion to look in the past unfortunately!

I have the January tag for this unit outside the Burros. Planning on looking into some of the wilderness study areas as well as hunting the edges of the burros. Anyone have success on the rifle hunt this year?