New Mexico Unit 26 mule deer

RyanG505

FNG
Drew a Unit 26 deer tag, anyone know much about unit 26 in the bootheel of New Mexico? I hear its dangerous to camp down there with illegal activity being so high? anyone have any validity to this... thanks

BrianID

FNG
I would be cautious of camping in any of the boarder units but I don't think it is unsafe as long as you are aware of your surroundings. You will see boarder patrol during your trip. Boarder patrol is very aware of activities going on along the boarder and I would talk with them if I were you. Illegal boarder crossing has decreased since Trump was elected and I would expect it to continue to decrease. Deer densities are low but if you put in the effort and get a little lucky you might get a nice buck.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
And def ask BP where the bucks are cruising! Seriously, I imagine you'll be alright as long as you keep your wits. Stealth camping for sure. What made you pick that unit?

I've seen more BP (dozens) down there than illegals (none), though I've not spent a ton of nights down there, and usually in October - December, not prime time for illegal activity from what I understand. I never sleep real well down there and prefer to have a buddy. I suspect you'll definitely have the opportunity to talk to BP. They tend to talk to most folks I know who have spent time there.
I know a lot of bird watchers who camp down there unarmed and that seems a bit foolhardy, but they've always made it back. Some of my herpetologist acquaintances spend all night cruising the roads down there looking for snakes, etc and haven't had any bad experiences. I'd worry most about leaving my vehicle unattended all day, or worse, for several days if you're doing the backcountry thing.
My experience is in Clanton Canyon (other side of the bootheel, not in 26 as it turns out!). Beautiful country though.

Last edited:

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
And def ask BP where the bucks are cruising! Seriously, I imagine you'll be alright as long as you keep your wits. Stealth camping for sure. What made you pick that unit?

A guaranteed 3rd choice and higher than average success rate.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know what the "Trump" effect will be this year. Last year my uncle was down there and in 1.5 days saw 5 different groups of dope smugglers. About 30 people total. The year before I saw 2 guys packing big bales of dope and they camped about 150 yards from us in the next saddle down the ridge. Some other hunters we ran into that year called in BP when they found 10 bales of dope stashed in a canyon bottom. None of the illegals I have seen in that unit were just "nice people looking for a better life." They have all been drug smugglers. I got tired of not sleeping well at night and hunted a different unit last year and will be in a different unit this year.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know what the "Trump" effect will be this year. Last year my uncle was down there and in 1.5 days saw 5 different groups of dope smugglers. About 30 people total. The year before I saw 2 guys packing big bales of dope and they camped about 150 yards from us in the next saddle down the ridge. Some other hunters we ran into that year called in BP when they found 10 bales of dope stashed in a canyon bottom. None of the illegals I have seen in that unit were just "nice people looking for a better life." They have all been drug smugglers. I got tired of not sleeping well at night and hunted a different unit last year and will be in a different unit this year.

That sounds worse than dealing with Grizzly bears.

chujing

FNG
Good chance of glassing up a group of illegals. I did, just call the Lordsburg BP station, they’ll come get em for you

I get that this is an old thread, but - I grew up, and live, on the southern border. Ran cattle and a few sheep down around Deming/Lordsburg/Silver City. This nonsense about seeing drug smugglers and "nasty people" all a load of horse s%$t. I'm old, white, privileged ranch dude - and 99% of the Hispanics that come across our land are just coming to work. Most of them are actually headed for the same produce picking jobs that they've worked for years. If anyone saw, or came that close, to any real drug smugglers - you'd never know about it, because those people wouldn't make it out to tell the stories. Talk to a Border Patrol agent (like my cousin and his son) and they'll tell you that the majority of the smuggling that's going on is still coming through the legal border crossings. Or - if they are coming across the desert - it's from 1am to 5am in the morning and you'll never see them. Stop spreading this kinda garbage about my State - and about my community. Better yet - come see for yourselves....

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the border last year and saw absolutely no sign of illegals where I was at. It just means that they were using a different set of trails, not that they stopped coming. Next year it might be full of drug smugglers once again. I have been in NM for 35 years and you have your head in the sand if you live on the border and have not seen this. I have seen it with my own 2 eyes on multiple occasions and I am only down there hunting for 1 week per year or even less. I have seen numerous campsites in the canyons of unit 26 and 27 filled with trash from Mexico where they hide out during the day. Up under Junipers I have found little makeshift shrines to the Lady of Guadalupe with her picture and a bunch of religious candles.
If you are up by Lordsburg and Silver City, then you are much farther north than I am talking about. All my experiences running into these people have been within 0-20 miles of the border.

Wow.....guys like you are just watching *way* too much Fox News and Cops re-runs. Are there illegals crossing - sure - to pick some of my own crop. But do I see "drug smugglers" and "shrines"?....you're nuts. If you're seeing "smugglers" - they aren't very good are they? And "shrines" - I bet they're right next to the prayer rugs and Haitian voodoo dolls, right!??

I'm thinking chances are pretty good that you're not even a real person - you sound like just another one of these Russian 'bots that puts this kind of nonsense out over the Internet so that innocent readers trying to find information on "hunting", and come across the noise and nonsensical rhetoric that comrades like you leave behind.

Whatever your story - I've spent more time in those boonies than you could ever imagine - and yes, all the way to the border, (plus a little bobcat hunting just a little further south). Pipe down - my backyard is just fine....