New Mexico Unit 30

Hey guys I drew a 2nd Rifle tag in Unit 30 with a couple buddies and I was wondering if anyone had hunted this unit and would be willing to lend any advice. I know this isn't a trophy unit and that it will be packed but it's an opportunity to get out and hunt with some good friends so I'm hoping to make the best of it.

Hey guys I drew a 2nd Rifle tag in Unit 30 with a couple buddies and I was wondering if anyone had hunted this unit and would be willing to lend any advice. I know this isn't a trophy unit and that it will be packed but it's an opportunity to get out and hunt with some good friends so I'm hoping to make the best of it.
my stepson drew youth deer tag in this unit. Did you draw deer or elk?

Fitzwho

WKR
I haven't hunted 30, but I have spent a lot of time next door in unit 31 in the sand hills.

You have about 1 million acres of accessible public ground and 800 deer tags for that unit. You'll run into a lot of people in some spots and none in others. Unfortunately if you run into a lot of locals in certain areas, that would usually mean that there are usually deer in that vicinity. It has been very dry, so any tank with water should have deer nearby. But there's not many tanks that don't have roads that go straight to them. Don't overlook cattle troughs and there should be guzzlers/rain catch tanks as well.

The whole unit is rough, rocky country. Expect flat tires and keep extra fuel depending on which side you plan to hunt. On the east side of the unit you are close to Artesia and Carlsbad. The west side is about as isolated as you can get in New Mexico. 40+ miles as the crow flies to much of anything resembling civilization.

OP
JHubbard2010
I haven't hunted 30, but I have spent a lot of time next door in unit 31 in the sand hills.

You have about 1 million acres of accessible public ground and 800 deer tags for that unit. You'll run into a lot of people in some spots and none in others. Unfortunately if you run into a lot of locals in certain areas, that would usually mean that there are usually deer in that vicinity. It has been very dry, so any tank with water should have deer nearby. But there's not many tanks that don't have roads that go straight to them. Don't overlook cattle troughs and there should be guzzlers/rain catch tanks as well.

The whole unit is rough, rocky country. Expect flat tires and keep extra fuel depending on which side you plan to hunt. On the east side of the unit you are close to Artesia and Carlsbad. The west side is about as isolated as you can get in New Mexico. 40+ miles as the crow flies to much of anything resembling civilization.
Thanks so much for this info. We are looking at hunting the NW part of the Unit but that could change for sure. We're hoping to find a good spot to park and pack in a few miles and hopefully get away from the crowds. Planning a scouting trip after the summer.

ccarter

FNG
Thanks so much for this info. We are looking at hunting the NW part of the Unit but that could change for sure. We're hoping to find a good spot to park and pack in a few miles and hopefully get away from the crowds. Planning a scouting trip after the summer.
Congrats on the tag. It's a cool hunt. Lots of road hunters in that part of NM, so getting away from crowds isn't all that tough. There's good news and bad news- First, there are deer all over the unit, which is also the bad news. you kind of have to pick what you want- higher, steeper stuff in the pinions and oaks, or lower draws in the desert country. Either way, there will be deer. I don't think it's known for being a trophy deer area, but the fact that it is so much rugged country, I have to think there are some big ones in there. You guys will enjoy the hunt, I'm sure. If it's warm at all, watch the rattlesnakes. Biggest snake I've ever seen was in that country- luckily it was 38 degrees and raining, or he would've bitten my son.

One thing about the deer in the lower country- they seem to like to bed in what the locals call "headers" kind of the point on the ridge where two fingers come together. they'll lay up in the yucca's and brush up there and watch below them. I can't tell you how many times we busted deer out of those areas without seeing them. Good luck on the hunt.

-Clint

OP
JHubbard2010
Congrats on the tag. It's a cool hunt. Lots of road hunters in that part of NM, so getting away from crowds isn't all that tough. There's good news and bad news- First, there are deer all over the unit, which is also the bad news. you kind of have to pick what you want- higher, steeper stuff in the pinions and oaks, or lower draws in the desert country. Either way, there will be deer. I don't think it's known for being a trophy deer area, but the fact that it is so much rugged country, I have to think there are some big ones in there. You guys will enjoy the hunt, I'm sure. If it's warm at all, watch the rattlesnakes. Biggest snake I've ever seen was in that country- luckily it was 38 degrees and raining, or he would've bitten my son.

One thing about the deer in the lower country- they seem to like to bed in what the locals call "headers" kind of the point on the ridge where two fingers come together. they'll lay up in the yucca's and brush up there and watch below them. I can't tell you how many times we busted deer out of those areas without seeing them. Good luck on the hunt.

-Clint
Thanks, Clint! Did you guys spike in or camp near the vehicle or stay in town? We’re trying to figure out a strategy for that. Seems like this unit has pretty good access and we will be taking a Ranger so driving the rougher roads shouldn’t be too problematic.

ccarter

FNG
We car camped a couple times- south of Hope where the foothills start to get steep.
And we stayed up in Queen another time. Like I said, we saw deer in both places. Queen is thicker, with more pinyons and oaks, but not necessarily steep. It's kind of a big plateau up there, so you're starting on the top. the country in the foothills is brushy in the draws- mesquite, yuccas, sage and cactus. It's kind of up to you which type of country you want to hunt. plenty of roads through that area, and the UTV will be beneficial for getting around. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem like backpack in and stay the night type country, but I guess it could be.

OP
JHubbard2010
We car camped a couple times- south of Hope where the foothills start to get steep.
And we stayed up in Queen another time. Like I said, we saw deer in both places. Queen is thicker, with more pinyons and oaks, but not necessarily steep. It's kind of a big plateau up there, so you're starting on the top. the country in the foothills is brushy in the draws- mesquite, yuccas, sage and cactus. It's kind of up to you which type of country you want to hunt. plenty of roads through that area, and the UTV will be beneficial for getting around. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem like backpack in and stay the night type country, but I guess it could be.
Thank you for the info! I've been looking for an area to really zero in on and I've called a couple of Game Wardens but haven't heard back. Too much good looking country in that huge unit.

JAJ

FNG
Hello sir my son drew the youth tag right after yours would you let me know how your 2nd rifle goes and of course good luck!

TheCougar

WKR
Hello sir my son drew the youth tag right after yours would you let me know how your 2nd rifle goes and of course good luck!
Doubt you’ll get a reply. The standard MO for newbies is to show up, ask for information and help, then never report back, contribute to the forum, or participate in the community… until they draw another tag they need help with. Not being a jerk… that’s just the way it is. Even the guys I’ve reached out to via PM and talked to over the phone never bothered to call back and let me know how their hunt went.

JAJ

FNG
Doubt you’ll get a reply. The standard MO for newbies is to show up, ask for information and help, then never report back, contribute to the forum, or participate in the community… until they draw another tag they need help with. Not being a jerk… that’s just the way it is.
Lol its fine. just wanted to ask how the experience of a previous hunt was, if they answer they do if not I see no reason not to help when I can going forward. I never resort to reading or asking anything in the forums but its about my son and a youth hunter that is just getting started so want to make it as memorable as possible. Thanks for the heads up though.

TheCougar

WKR
Lol its fine. just wanted to ask how the experience of a previous hunt was, if they answer they do if not I see no reason not to help when I can going forward. I never resort to reading or asking anything in the forums but its about my son and a youth hunter that is just getting started so want to make it as memorable as possible. Thanks for the heads up though.
I hope you defy Newbie tradition and become an active member! Good luck to you and your son on the hunt!

OP
JHubbard2010
Hey guys. Sorry for the late update, took a little bit to digest that experience. We arrived early the day before season and set up the camper. Set up near the two old pad sites off of Washington Ranch Rd.. Did a little driving to get our bearings and prepare for opening morning. The three of us scattered out and didnt see much other than a ton of other hunters. I think we were the only guys not road hunting from what I could tell. Covered a ton of ground over the next five days and saw probably 50 does between the three of us bot not so much as one spike. Talked to several ranchers and other hunters and only heard of one 5x5 that got killed opening morning by some guys that jumped it crossing the road and killed it. Heard 3 shots total over 5 days. Overall I think this unit is just extremely over-hunted. Heard various reasons varying from drought to lion kills but that doesn't explain the abundance of does. I wish I had better news but I do not plan to apply for this unit again. We had a great time and the area around the Guadalupes is beautiful though and it's not always about the kill!

wavygravy

FNG
I hunted 29 in mid Nov. I saw 1 buck in 6 days so it's just a tough year. Rancher near us mentioned the coyotes were tough and we certainly heard them every night running. That and several years of drought dont help either despite this summer being pretty wet. One guy got a 4x and thats about it. Tough year is all. Way it goes sometimes.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Those are some beautiful units and certainly get hunted hard but still hold some decent bucks. The ranchers down there will blame everything under the sun except themselves for the massive overgrazing.