New Mexico unit 36

How has the archery season treated some of you guys let's hear some stories from the hunt and photos. I have 2 weeks until I hear out late rifle. Can't wait seems like a good moisture year.

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
It is a tough hunt. There were a lot of hunters. I talked to several of them. One said he has had the tag three times. The first two times he saw one other hunter total. This time he could not get away from hunters. I have a friend out there now in one of the northern units, same story, hunters everywhere. I have heard they increased tag numbers but not sure in what seasons. There are a ton of elk in there. If I was rifle hunting I would be hiking very early and getting up high to an escape route or saddle. If there are as many rifle hunters as there were archery hunters it’s going to be a zoo.

There are several people in the area that have horses for hire. Might want to look into it.

Let me know if have any specific questions.

It is a tough unit physically I was lucky enough to draw the same tag last year. Saw tons of elk took a real nice 5 point on day one. The tag numbers between rifle and archery are the same almost as far as the draw tags. Now I have no idea how many landowner tags are passed out could be different. Here is the bull from last year seen much bigger but wasn't being picky being my first bull. We didn't run into anyone while in the woods but lots of country in there. Hoping horn growth is better this year.

Attachments

• IMG_5739-2.jpg
    IMG_5739-2.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 165

Ghayes15

FNG
It is a tough hunt. There were a lot of hunters. I talked to several of them. One said he has had the tag three times. The first two times he saw one other hunter total. This time he could not get away from hunters. I have a friend out there now in one of the northern units, same story, hunters everywhere. I have heard they increased tag numbers but not sure in what seasons. There are a ton of elk in there. If I was rifle hunting I would be hiking very early and getting up high to an escape route or saddle. If there are as many rifle hunters as there were archery hunters it’s going to be a zoo.

There are several people in the area that have horses for hire. Might want to look into it.

I would be interested in getting info on packers for hire

Topduck

FNG
bumping this old thread to the top. my buddy and I both drew first season muzzy tags for this unit and have 5 days to tag two bulls. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have hunted elk in Colorado where the tactic was get to the timberline in the am and pm and wait for bulls to transition in and out of the timber to the meadows above. What's the general tactic in NM or is there one. thanks any help would be good. Looking for a packer two. Figure it may save a day to hunt the second bull if we tag one early.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for bumping this. I too would like info on pack horses or mules. My outfitter used a guy with two mules last year but that was a buddy deal. I don't think he is for hire.

I'm headed back in November for mulies.

I hunted elk last year in the wilderness and only saw a few hunters once we left the road but did see two large groups on horses. One group even had a dog with them.

Attachments

• 20211028_123133.jpg
    20211028_123133.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

After seeing this thread progress, i predict the wilderness area will be overrun.........

hpitt124

FNG
I was lucky enough to to draw the late season rifle elk hunt in 36. I’ve never hunted New Mexico before was wondering if anyone out there was willing to give any info or any tips. Thanks in advance!

Topduck

FNG
scouted all day today saw nothing, heard nothing. are they bugling this late in the season. saw old sign, one fresh wallow, that's it. gonna check another area tomorrow. Think looking at the easier access areas is a bad idea.

scouted all day today saw nothing, heard nothing. are they bugling this late in the season. saw old sign, one fresh wallow, that's it. gonna check another area tomorrow. Think looking at the easier access areas is a bad idea
Yes still bugling