New Mexico Unit 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montyb

FNG
I drew the early hunt in Unit 45. Any info from others that have hunted the area would be much appreciated. This will be my first solo backcountry hunt thought I have done lots of backpacking and alpine mountaineering in the past so I know what I am getting into. My wife and I plan to fly in late next month to scout the area.

Hey I drew a Tag for a Muley in Unit 45 as well the end of October For Rifle. I'm from Texas and never hunted out of the state. I've backpacked and camped my whole life so I'm accustomed to that, but definitely not the Altitude. Its a work in progress. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I don't even know where to begin. But I find this is a great start. Sorry to steal the thread.

DRUSS

WKR
2nd season elk last year, most the deer we seen were not way up high. Would actually say were lower half of the elevation around.

OP
Montyb

Montyb

FNG
2nd season elk last year, most the deer we seen were not way up high. Would actually say were lower half of the elevation around.

That’s good info Druss. From what I understand they move down in late fall during rut. MB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been successful in 45 the last 2 season 2nd rifle.
The closer to Santa Fe the more deer you’ll se. But many more hikers and such. Get off trail and you should be good down low. Hopefully they haven’t gotten to private by then.
Also do some research for where to park. Thievery is an issue in some places that you park and pack into. I’ve never had any issues, but I’ve had other folks down there tell me to be careful

Thank y’all so much for the help and advice. I’m stoked about the hunt. The wife not so happy. But it’ll be alright. If anyone is ever down around the Texas Coast, Galveston to Port O’Connor area let me know. I’ve got a good boat and fish often.

zpotter

FNG
I drew an archery tag in 45 this year as well. Unfortunately (I know terrible problem to have) I also drew a 16b archery elk tag so I am concentrating on the elk. I havent given up the idea of getting after the deer also but its gonna be tough to get both done!

OP
Montyb

Montyb

FNG
Last week my wife and I did a bit of scouting in this unit. What wild and wonderful country! It is going to be rough hunting. Our last day, we had 6" of new snow and 50 mph winds. Fun times.

MB

hey guys i drew a 45 elk muzzy tag oct 5-9. Have you seen anything recently in this unit for elk or have much experience in there? im going to make a few scouting trips and would help any way i can with deer if i could get info on elk thanks guys and good luck fall is coming soon

I’ve had two muzzleloader elk tags in the pecos. Successful both times. Steep and high elevation! Didn’t see a single decent mule deer either time. Must not have been in the correct areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.