New Mexico Unit 52

Jglenn198

FNG
My wife has drawn season 2 archery for unit 52 this year . She is wanting to get away from the crowd and do a backpack hunt . We have done some research so for google earth etc but would love some inside of the unit from someone who has hunted it in the past . We are definitely not looking for anyones hot spots or locations . Just a good overview of past experiences. Thanks in advance any help .

TX_Diver

WKR
I've hunted 51 and it's hard to get away from the roads (or at least people driving around regardless of road status/presence). Haven't been in 52 but maybe it's a little different. Make sure you don't leave anything valuable in your car wherever you park it though.

Chili Line Depot in Tres Piedras is a good place to grab a breakfast on the way in depending on which way you're coming from.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
52 has less trails than 51...You'll not have a problem getting away from the crowds if you head towards the Northwest side of the unit... Most of the locals I've met in the area never hunt more than a mile from the truck. Don't overlook the BLM and state lands on the East/northeast... You would be surprised at the elk not found in the mountains...
Good Luck!

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted 51 and it's hard to get away from the roads (or at least people driving around regardless of road status/presence). Haven't been in 52 but maybe it's a little different. Make sure you don't leave anything valuable in your car wherever you park it though.

Chili Line Depot in Tres Piedras is a good place to grab a breakfast on the way in depending on which way you're coming from.
2nd the store in Tres Piedras. Good ladies that'll make you a nice meal, and they have decent internet...They have gas in cans if you need it and ice. Good folks.

I drew 52 first rifle so I'm following this post. I'm mostly interested in logistics. Best campsites, roads that are shown open but impassable, where the crackheads live, where the outfitters live, closest gas/water/store/ER/good burger...

Looks like I will be solo, doing a combo of truck camp and backpack if I find the right spot. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TX_Diver

WKR
I drew 52 first rifle so I'm following this post. I'm mostly interested in logistics. Best campsites, roads that are shown open but impassable, where the crackheads live, where the outfitters live, closest gas/water/store/ER/good burger...

Looks like I will be solo, doing a combo of truck camp and backpack if I find the right spot. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chili Line Depot is good and you might as well hit up a Blakes lottaburger while you're on the way in/out.

I think when I was there I drove to Taos for fuel but there may be somewhere closer. Buddy I was with was insistent on watching the world series game that was on one evening... 🤷‍♂️

TX_Diver

WKR
Chili Line Depot is good and you might as well hit up a Blakes lottaburger while you're on the way in/out.

I think when I was there I drove to Taos for fuel but there may be somewhere closer depending on where you are in the unit. Buddy I was with was insistent on watching the world series game that was on one evening and the nearest place he could think to go was Taos... 🤷‍♂️

KHNC

WKR
Plenty of local poachers up that way. Last year i encountered a man and a woman carrying rifles during 2nd archery. I was watching a water hole and once they saw me , they walked right up to me and just started talking loud. You see any deers??? We looking for deers. He was carrying a bugle tube and the evening bugles had already started. They headed up the mountain right above my spot. The fkrs

The NW is literally the only place you can get more than a couple miles from roads. There is road closures everywhere, but they will be driven. You'll be pissed when you backpack in anywhere besides wilderness to find a truck camp, or people in utvs drinking budlight.

Edit: x2 on the poachers. Don't wear animal decoys in this unit.. Lot of shady shit up there. The deer numbers are wrecked there. Not a unit to get picky in on bulls either.

For gas Chama, or Colorado. I don't believe ojo has any running gas stations anymore.

Last edited:

Austink47

WKR
I would love to have that tag, it is a great unit. Yes there are a lot of jack offs driving around, but a mile or two off the road has never felt crowded to me. Use it to your advantage, get in the middle of some steep north facing blow down where no 4wheeler can go. Also unless the monsoons actually do something it is going to be super dry, secure water might be golden. Good luck.

Ehiggins

WKR
They were building a new Sinclair station in Antonito last year when we were there. Not positive it’s finished but I would assume so. That’s the closest place to get gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. All duly noted.

So as I'm escouting I'm finding lots of roads like the two in this pic. FS website says they're closed but should I assume I will see utv's and such on them during the hunt? Not sure how much this will change my plans but it may help my peace of mind when I walk 2 miles and get passed on a road.

roads.jpg

OP
J

Jglenn198

FNG
We sure appreciate everyones insight . Damn shame about all the poachers. We are headed up this week to do some scouting and get a good feel for it on the ground .

Thanks

Hey all! First post. Have a hunt in unit 52 this year, really looking forward to it. Been up a couple times scouting, looks like great elk country. The unit is fairly heavily roaded but there are some areas that you should be able to get away from roads pretty good.
Bring snow chains along, they got around 2 feet of snow during first archery. Seems to have all melted but you never know up there.

hunting1

WKR
Just got back from the muzzleloader and will be up there for the second rifle to help. No issues getting away as there are few roads so you do not even need to go in the wilderness. It could be under snow, go into the blowdown, or drop down in the drainages. Enjoy and good luck!

Just got back from the muzzleloader and will be up there for the second rifle to help. No issues getting away as there are few roads so you do not even need to go in the wilderness. It could be under snow, go into the blowdown, or drop down in the drainages. Enjoy and good luck!
How did your muzzleloader hunt go?