New Mexico Unit 5b deer/asking elk hunters

MP.hunter

FNG
Hey guys. I drew the muzzy tag for deer here Sep. 27-Oct. 3 and it appeared i drew the only non resident non guided tag. This is a brand new hunt here and coming from WA State scouting will be at a minimum. I was curious if anyone drew the elk hunt here for archery or has hunted elk here in the past and was curious what the deer densities are in this unit. I assume there are some big bucks as it boarders the Jicarilla. Any feedback is great, I am going to get down there ahead of my hunt and begin to search water in the unit. PMs are great, thanks for the time.
Mike

RMEF

FNG
I drew a non resident archery tag Sept 1-24 so I will be hunting that area right before your hunt. As of right now I am in the same boat as you though.... I have no information other than what I have read on GoHunt. I do have a call in to the conservation officer for that area so I'm hoping he can shed some light on that unit for me. I am also planning on doing some scouting in June or July depending on when I can get some time away from work. Good luck to you & if I find anything out of value I'll let you know.

OP
M

MP.hunter

FNG
I drew a non resident archery tag Sept 1-24 so I will be hunting that area right before your hunt. As of right now I am in the same boat as you though.... I have no information other than what I have read on GoHunt. I do have a call in to the conservation officer for that area so I'm hoping he can shed some light on that unit for me. I am also planning on doing some scouting in June or July depending on when I can get some time away from work. Good luck to you & if I find anything out of value I'll let you know.

Sounds great, good luck

Montyb

FNG
Good luck guys. I drew unit 45 early archery. I think that whole area is going to be tough but fun hunting.

1Bigbull

FNG
Hey Guys. I drew the rifle hunt in 5b. Please let me know how your hunts go. I could use all the help I can get. It's been pretty tough getting good information on the unit. Thanks!