New Mexico vs Montana

After 3 years of hunting north west Montana, I'm considering hunting in New Mexico. The terrain in Kootenai is some pretty tough area that is very thick and very steep. Does anyone know what the terrain in Gila Country New Mexico is like?

Norm555

WKR
There are a lot of areas in Montana that I think have much easier terrain to hunt than the Kootenai. I would recommend researching areas in Region 3 which has the majority of the elk in the state.

OP
B
There are a lot of areas in Montana that I think have much easier terrain to hunt than the Kootenai. I would recommend researching areas in Region 3 which has the majority of the elk in the state.

My only concern about terrain is that a couple of the hunters I hunt with, certainly don't want it harder than it already is, but can handle it.

Is there an outfitter that you would recommend in Region 3?

I was speaking to an outfitter in New Mexico, that lead me to believe there was a chance to draw a party tag through the outfitter pool of tags.

Norm555

WKR
My only concern about terrain is that a couple of the hunters I hunt with, certainly don't want it harder than it already is, but can handle it.

Is there an outfitter that you would recommend in Region 3?

I was speaking to an outfitter in New Mexico, that lead me to believe there was a chance to draw a party tag through the outfitter pool of tags.

I don't know of any outfitters in particular but do know a lot of great private land is leased up by outfitters throughout the state for elk hunts. You definitely will have better draw odds with an outfitter in New Mexico so you should be on a good track there.

Gila, thick and steep. Great hunting area. Unless LO tag which are expensive good luck drawing.
That is why Montana is so popular. Keep in mind that in the Gila better draw odds means 1 - 2 % vs 0.something without.

FlyGuy

WKR
Gila is huge. Terrain is whatever you want it to be. Crazy steep, loaded with blowdown, or big open patchwork country with rolling hills. But if you are with an outfitter you’ll have horses so it won’t matter that much.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Brooks

WKR
Most everywhere elk live is steep and deep. The Gila is BIG, BIG country . Elk love living in a hell hole.

I think some of the better draw odds tags have primary hunting in some flat spots. That type of hunting is probably more conducive to outfitters vs DIY so maybe that is what OP wants.

KHNC

WKR
Outfitters will tell you what you want to hear. Odds are absolutely terrible to draw the GILA as a NR. Even with a guides is still less than 2%. Landowner tags in the Gila are selling for 12-15k now too. Outrageous.

Outfitters will tell you what you want to hear. Odds are absolutely terrible to draw the GILA as a NR. Even with a guides is still less than 2%. Landowner tags in the Gila are selling for 12-15k now too. Outrageous.

Gohunt shows an early archery @ 30% and late rifle @ 23% guided. I assume it's lower now but those aren't terrible odds.

TX_Diver

WKR
Telling you from experience, those odds are way wrong and way off.

Or for one of the adjacent units that some of the outfitters like to consider as part of the Gila areas. Not that those outfitters don't take big elk, but they aren't coming from the wilderness area or the units that most people consider to be the Gilas.

For the OP there is all kinds of terrain in the gilas from flat grasslands to steep rocky areas that people hunt sheep in...

KHNC

WKR
Gohunt shows an early archery @ 30% and late rifle @ 23% guided. I assume it's lower now but those aren't terrible odds.
Yep, NO WAY these numbers are accurate for the actual GILA. Only trust NMGF for the draw odds on the 16's an 15.

Ctitus25

Lil-Rokslider
Was just in 16A, pretty steep and 8k MSL so sea level dwellers like be were hurting. Great opportunity if you get away from few roads and have a great guide like I did.