New Mexico vs Montana

Or for one of the adjacent units that some of the outfitters like to consider as part of the Gila areas. Not that those outfitters don't take big elk, but they aren't coming from the wilderness area or the units that most people consider to be the Gilas.

For the OP there is all kinds of terrain in the gilas from flat grasslands to steep rocky areas that people hunt sheep in...

the Gila is a special place and has it all. The biggest issue I see in the Gila is a huge bear problem due to lack of hunting them by design. I’ve seen lots of bears during my hunting and scouting trips. Bears got my buddies water and half his elk this year. Even though he had everything hanging and off the ground 10-15’ up.

Gohunt shows an early archery @ 30% and late rifle @ 23% guided. I assume it's lower now but those aren't terrible odds.

I was reading some of GoHunt writeups on specific Units earlier today, and the comments on the writeups were from 2016 and 2017.

Fitzwho

WKR
Those are the guided numbers for 16C that were quoted. It has the best odds of drawing a 16 tag, along with 16E. These higher draw odds come along with very low hunter success rates... 16A, B, and D are the heart of the Gila with a fraction of the draw odds and 3 times better success rates.