New Mexico, who applied?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The deadline passed at 5:00 PM, This is the first year I haven't applied in NM for deer. They dropped the non-resident quota from 10% to 6% for the DIY elk/deer/antelope hunters, so they lose my business. The odds were already bad and apprarantly they can make it without us DIY hunters, so hasta la vista! There are other states with better value for non residents.

Anyone else apply?

I applied for elk. Wish they hadnt have dropped the quota, but I really want to hunt down there so I put in anyways.

With a no points draw system and like you stated Robby, a SIGNIFICANT reduction in the tag allocation for non-res DIY hunters, I didn't apply. My goal is to harvest a 180" Mule Deer from every western state so eventually I will need to apply but I think that the decision to reduce the tags is really going to cost the state and am crossing my fingers that they will realize the mistake and make the necessary changes. Not very likely but I can still hope!

Elk_Addict23

Lil-Rokslider
I also passed this year, I had my app filled out and everything but at the last minute I decided not to put in. I too am hoping they realize they need the DIY non-resident, we'll see!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
looks like a few less people applying. Likely won't improve draw odds on the better hunts, though. Going from a 2% chance to a 4% chance is a 100% increase in draw odds, but still very very long odds. Best of luck to those who did apply.

The odds should have gone up for guided hunters, as I believe that is where the tags cut from the DIY tag allocations went.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I applied for NM. Absolutely a no brainer IMO. The opportunity to hunt some world class animals with no points, you don't get that opportunity many other places. Actually with less than a week to go, applications for the same time frame were down over 50% from last year, so it looks like odds may have actually went up, even with the decrease in tag numbers.

wapitibob

WKR
the tags went from the diy side to the resident side along with 2% from the guided pool. Should help all the residents and that was the basis for the legislation.

In any event, I'm in and always will be as long as I can get out of the truck. I have friends who are guides and outfitters down there and enjoy hunting with them for a cpl days over the course of the season. I'm thinking my odds will be about double this year. Still not very good but I did put down a 2nd and 3rd choice for the first time ever. I must be getting desperate.

Good luck Wes, there's nothing quite like Elk hunting in NM.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I see, so the guided hunters tag pool went down 2%, too? I was mistaken and thought it was going up. Good for the residents, bad for the non-residents.

jamaro

FNG
I am all in but I am a resident... You guys really should have thought this out... Unlike most states we have several species that don't go by the quota rules..
Sheep, Oryx, Ibex... In fact, alot of years more NR draw those tags.... and we have a TON more sheep tags this year..

J-
www.TheNewMexicoSportsman.com

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ya Jamaro, that is good advice for the multi-species hunters, but since I only hunt deer (budget, time, etc), and only apply in great units when they are a long ways away, it pushed me out of applying.