New Mexico youth hunt

J78

FNG
My son drew tag for youth deer hunt in NM unit 30. My experience with mule deer hunting has only been October at high elevation. My experience tells me to find the nastiest furthest from the road places to find biggest bucks, however is there any migration of mule deer in this unit to some of the foothills or lower elevations? Also the h dates for this hunt are last week of November some call this a rut hunt, but I’ve also seen a lot talking about mule deer rut in this area being more late December early January? If there is some rut activity would this change the areas I need to be looking?

JAJ

FNG
Good afternoon Sir, was wanting to ask how your youth hunt went last year. Were you sucessful? My son drew the youth tag this year. We been out scouting but im sure everything will be shaking up being youth is at the tail end of the hunts. Could you share any of your experience from last year.

OP
J78

J78

FNG
Good afternoon Sir, was wanting to ask how your youth hunt went last year. Were you sucessful? My son drew the youth tag this year. We been out scouting but im sure everything will be shaking up being youth is at the tail end of the hunts. Could you share any of your experience from last year.
Yes, it was a great and fun experience with my son we spent 3 days hunting no bucks seen on the hunt. We saw probably a dozen doe and fawns and couple bull elk. Many coyotes and found a few arrow heads.

JAJ

FNG
Yes, it was a great and fun experience with my son we spent 3 days hunting no bucks seen on the hunt. We saw probably a dozen doe and fawns and couple bull elk. Many coyotes and found a few arrow heads.
well its good that you had fun thats exactly what im trying to teach him. Its bigger than the harvest but the overall experience. I thank you for your reply. Did you guys hunt the higher elevation forest areas or the foothill type areas?

OP
J78

J78

FNG
So I’ll send you a couple screen shots from on x maps showing two spots we camped. Both areas had a ton of sign. The area in the northern part of the forest is where we saw all the game. Very remote area long drive and rough roads, but never saw any other hunters would go back there. Location in southern part lots of other hunters saw plenty of sign but no actual deer or elk.

JAJ

FNG
So I’ll send you a couple screen shots from on x maps showing two spots we camped. Both areas had a ton of sign. The area in the northern part of the forest is where we saw all the game. Very remote area long drive and rough roads, but never saw any other hunters would go back there. Location in southern part lots of other hunters saw plenty of sign but no actual deer or elk.
Guess I was e scouting correctly.. the upper point was close to an area I wanted to check out.. are those areas accessible by truck?

OP
J78

J78

FNG
Guess I was e scouting correctly.. the upper point was close to an area I wanted to check out.. are those areas accessible by truck?
Yes I have a 3/4 ton crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel and was able to get to both areas. The northern area was pretty rough and slow going.