New Mexico

Felix40

WKR
I had a great day yesterday.

38689d62e6b5233d654538386d6d97a0.jpg

Early archery in the Gila and a (late archery) freaking Ibex! Two of my dream hunts! Lots to do!

This will be my 1st time to hunt anything in NM.

You can’t cheat the mountain

You are going to be busy. Is that an archery or rifle barbary tag?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't draw a Barbary sheep tag to save my life. Guess I'm finally going to have to give up and put some time in looking for over the counter options.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I can't draw a Barbary sheep tag to save my life. Guess I'm finally going to have to give up and put some time in looking for over the counter options.

You and me both. I thought being a resident now would finally put a tag in my pocket but no dice.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You and me both. I thought being a resident now would finally put a tag in my pocket but no dice.
I'm 0-8 and the odds keep dropping. Need to buddy up to some outfitters like the guys that keep drawing New Mexico do.

I drew a NR Elk first hunt 21B, Put in the wrong hunt code. Looking over the unit hard on google earth and ONX. Looks like finding a public area is going to be the biggest challenge.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
0-8 in the resident pool? I don't need that kind of negativity in my life!
I would hope that residents draw tags more like every other year if they use all thier draw choices wisely. I'm a non resident but it's still damn discouraging. Odds were 12% then 10% now less than 8% so I guess haven't paid my dues in years yet.

Felix40

WKR
I know a bunch of guys here who are having to wait 5-6 years to get a barbary sheep draw tag. They are just really popular right now. I had hoped we would get better odds with fools applying for archery hunts but it doesnt look like it helped much. OTC units get hammered all year and most guys from out of state dont even see a sheep on a 5 day trip.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know a bunch of guys here who are having to wait 5-6 years to get a barbary sheep draw tag. They are just really popular right now. I had hoped we would get better odds with fools applying for archery hunts but it doesnt look like it helped much. OTC units get hammered all year and most guys from out of state dont even see a sheep on a 5 day trip.
That's what's kept me holding off putting a bunch of effort into an area that holds very few animals. Hopefully someone will throw me a bone and give me a direction or thier honey hole lol

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I'm 0-8 and the odds keep dropping. Need to buddy up to some outfitters like the guys that keep drawing New Mexico do.

wow, as a resident too.

0 for 9 at 61, I don't have a lot of good years left.
unlike most NM non resident applicants, I have scouted my chosen units/areas for the past 5 years. One trip in early August, one trip over Labor Day weekend. Quite an investment; RT flight, rental 4wd, gas etc. And now $85 a year non refundable license fees.
I know the where, just need to draw a non resident tag.
at some point in the next few years, I'm going archery bull elk hunting in NM...
before I'm too damn old to do so!

The problem with otc Barbary is that in west 34 the herds are super migratory.. the military base has heaps of guys that hunt it all the time.

Spent this evening looking at a nice elk herd in 16b..

FLAK

WKR
Guess I get to be the bearer of good news...

Results are posted. Drew my 4th tag in 4 years. A Coues tag in Southwest NM.

Website is getting hammered at the moment, so you may want to give it a couple hours.

I also drew a Coues Tag in the SW in Dec.

OP
F

Fitzwho

WKR
I know some guys that hunted the 27 muzzleloader hunt last year. Not sure how it went, but I did a little e-scouting for them. I’ve hunted Coues’ twice in AZ so curious how this is going to go. Going to have to get out there at least once this summer to get a lay of the land at least.

psirus7

WKR
Nice results Flyguy...you will enjoy NM. I got resident muzzie tags in Carson this go round (first time in 5 years)