New Mid Range Binos

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Currently have a set of 8x42 Bushnell Legend L's and while I think they're pretty darn good for the small price I paid, I am looking to step up a little in quality/power. Headed to WY for Mulies and OR for elk this year, and have been thinking about getting a set of 10x42 for glassing off a tripod. Been looking at the Maven C1's, Vanguard Endeavor ED II's, Bushnell Nitro's (haven't seen hardly any reviews on these), or possibly springing a little more for the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides. Do you guys think that given I already have 8x I should maybe spring for 12's? Ideally I would just carry one pair of binos, but if you guys think it would be worth throwing a set of 12's in my pack then that is an option I'd consider as well. Both hunts this year are going to be day hunts out of a base camp so I'm not TOO concerned about carrying any extra set weight wise.

Thank you.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I imagine you'll get people steering you toward the BX-4 (and for good reason, it seems). Personally, I really prefer 8x binoculars for hand use, and go all the way up to 15x56 if I'll be sitting behind a tripod. After using a tripod I just get irritated at the wobbles with anything over 8x handheld, unless it's for a real quick view. There are a ton of variables for how you would use your setup and what you'd prefer, and I'm learning it's a personal thing (I really tried to get into the 12x thing and gave 3 different top-tier models a go, only to decide it wasn't for me). I enjoy the heck out of 8x42s on a tripod, actually. I'm not sure how the Legend Ls are, but I have a spare set of Bushnell Engage 8x42s that are awesome for the $140 I paid for them. I'm not sure if you already have a tripod (might spend the money there?) but if you're really wanting to drop coin on new binoculars, I'd say get the best you can (sounds like maybe the BX-4) and maybe see if 10x42 is a good fit for a one-binocular system. If I was a little more stable I'd probably just pack around 10s and call it a day.

OP
W

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Quite honestly my Muley hunt this year will be my first hunt where I know I will be doing a fair amount of glassing. Both of my elk hunts the past two years have not involved much glassing, so I don't have too much experience behind a tripod already to base my decision on. Worse comes to worse if I buy a pair of 10x and am not a fan I should be able to recoup most of the cost if I sell them and possibly upgrade to a better set of 8x.

Currently have a set of 8x42 Bushnell Legend L's and while I think they're pretty darn good for the small price I paid, I am looking to step up a little in quality/power. Headed to WY for Mulies and OR for elk this year, and have been thinking about getting a set of 10x42 for glassing off a tripod. Been looking at the Maven C1's, Vanguard Endeavor ED II's, Bushnell Nitro's (haven't seen hardly any reviews on these), or possibly springing a little more for the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides. Do you guys think that given I already have 8x I should maybe spring for 12's? Ideally I would just carry one pair of binos, but if you guys think it would be worth throwing a set of 12's in my pack then that is an option I'd consider as well. Both hunts this year are going to be day hunts out of a base camp so I'm not TOO concerned about carrying any extra set weight wise.

Thank you.
I have the C1’s and for the price i just don’t think you’re going to get much better until you start getting into the vortex razor/conquest range which is getting at the $1,000+range. I have the 10x42s and it does everything i need and more from Midwest turkey hunting to blacktail on Kodiak island. Perfect “do it all” IMO.

Graeme

FNG
I also have a pair of 8x and am looking for something with a little more magnification. I haven't made a choice on make but was leaning towards 12x. I was figuring if I got into something with 15x I would start considering a spotting scope.

HntnFsh

FNG
I think a person would be crazy not to pick up either pair of the Cabelas Euros/ Meopta Meostars that are listed as used in the classifieds right now!

Swayze

FNG
I think a person would be crazy not to pick up either pair of the Cabelas Euros/ Meopta Meostars that are listed as used in the classifieds right now!

They single handedly brought me out of lurker status but not sure they last until I get cleared to PM.

OP
W

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have any experience with the Vanguard Endeavor ED IV? I think I've narrowed it down to either them or the C1's. It seems like all the reviews of the C1's are either absolutely stellar, or folks are disappointed with the eye cups moving too easily, and the narrow FOV.

KH_bowfly

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been eying the Mavens, but have also recently stumbled upon the Kowa BD II XD’s. Not sure if anyone has seen both, but the wider FOV compared to the C1’s is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
I used to have the Bushnell Legend Ms in 8x42 and for the price they were great glass. I then Moved to the BX-4s in 10x50. That was a huge jump in quality over the Legends. Again, for the price the BX-4s are the best glass in their price range. The C-1s are also good. But, they aren’t nearly as good as the BX-4s IMO. The BX-4 is better glass and better ergonomics. But, everyone’s eyes are different.

OP
W

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW I ended up ordering a pair of 10x42 C1s. Through my work I have access to some discounts on the aforementioned brands, and the difference in price to go from the C1 to the BX-4 was roughly $150 (pretty much the same as usual street prices). Without having gotten my hands on either, I opted to order the C1s to see how my eyes like them and then will go from there. Can't wait to get my hands on some new glass!

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW I ended up ordering a pair of 10x42 C1s. Through my work I have access to some discounts on the aforementioned brands, and the difference in price to go from the C1 to the BX-4 was roughly $150 (pretty much the same as usual street prices). Without having gotten my hands on either, I opted to order the C1s to see how my eyes like them and then will go from there. Can't wait to get my hands on some new glass!
How do you like the C1’s? I have been thinking of buying them but like said earlier I heard the eye cups move very easily and it is making me reconsider.

OP
W

waldo9190

Lil-Rokslider
How do you like the C1’s? I have been thinking of buying them but like said earlier I heard the eye cups move very easily and it is making me reconsider.
You know I really haven't had a good opportunity to give them a thorough test yet. A couple initial observations I will list below.

1) Glass is GREAT. I will repeat what a lot of other people have said in that they are on par (or maybe even a bit better depending on your own eyes) than the Vortex Vipers.
2) The non-locking diopter adjustment isn't a worry to me at all. The ring is not very easy to turn, which being non-locking this is how it should be. I have no worries about this moving while in my bino harness.
3) The eye cups don't worry me either. Tension wise I find them to be identical to my Bushnell Legend L's and I never had them move while in my bino harness. Just for giggles I extended the eye cups out all the way and pressed my eyes into them fairly firmly and wasn't able to get them to move.

I'm currently in between harnesses (sold my MR, new AGC will be here Friday), so once I get that I will do some hiking with the harness/binos on to evaluate the real-world performance of the aforementioned "concerns". That being said, I'm not worried at all about the issues that some have had with them. Maybe they're MUCH more nit-picky than I am? Either way, I'm VERY happy with the purchase.

bsnedeker

WKR
I did a review on the 12x50's after I won them in the CBC this year. I'm also coming from a pair of bushnells so you might find this helpful:

bird35

FNG
I’ve been eying the Mavens, but have also recently stumbled upon the Kowa BD II XD’s. Not sure if anyone has seen both, but the wider FOV compared to the C1’s is interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've never messed with the c1s but I recently got the kowa bdii 10x42 and I really like them. They are light weight and feel really nice in hand. To me the larger field of view is more noticeable than I thought it would be compared to vortex vipers I have.