New ML Peep Shooter

I recently purchased a new Knight UL and set it up with a peep, fiber optic fire sight and hood like others here. Figured no reason to reinvent the wheel...thanks to those here on ROKSLIDE that spelled everything out! My problem is I'm new to shooting with a peep and am having a difficult time getting good groups. This may be a stupid question to most, but when looking through the peep should any part of the hood be visible or completely out of sight when aiming at the target? Today while shooting I realized that sometime I see part of the hood and other times I'm not prior to shooting...so my point of aim is not always the same. I feel a bit stupid that it took me so long to figure it out, but it does expain why I can put two shots nearly touching and the next shot 6" high. It is always my elevation that is off.

I would love to hear any advice you seasoned "peep" shooters are willing to share. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

John aka Trophy Quest

I recently purchased a new Knight UL and set it up with a peep, fiber optic fire sight and hood like others here. Figured no reason to reinvent the wheel...thanks to those here on ROKSLIDE that spelled everything out! My problem is I'm new to shooting with a peep and am having a difficult time getting good groups. This may be a stupid question to most, but when looking through the peep should any part of the hood be visible or completely out of sight when aiming at the target? Today while shooting I realized that sometime I see part of the hood and other times I'm not prior to shooting...so my point of aim is not always the same. I feel a bit stupid that it took me so long to figure it out, but it does explain why I can put two shots nearly touching and the next shot 6" high. It is always my elevation that is off.

I would love to hear any advice you seasoned "peep" shooters are willing to share. Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

John aka Trophy Quest

Shooting a peep does, in my mind, take some mental training. The key factor is to look through the peep at the front sight. Most newbies will try to center the front in the peep - trust your eye it will do it for you. Pick the rifle up look through the peep and place the front sight on the target. Another thought I would share is try to get your head in the same place on the stock each shot - so you are not hunting the peep by moving your head forward or to the rear trying to get the perfect pic.

It does take some time to develop a smooth routine.

Hope some of this helps...

67bronco

FNG
And to add to sabotloader. Make sure what you are shooting is on top of front sight not covered up by it. I sighted my knight 4” high at 200. I put front sight at where the back of leg meets the body and it goes where it should

OP
T
Thank you very much Sabotloader and 67bronco! I went out and shot today and did much better. I definitely agree it takes some mental training. I have a late season mule deer muzzleloader hunt next month and will continue to practice until then. I sincerely appreciate the words of wisdom...I will put all the advice into action.

Thank you very much Sabotloader and 67bronco! I went out and shot today and did much better. I definitely agree it takes some mental training. I have a late season mule deer muzzleloader hunt next month and will continue to practice until then. I sincerely appreciate the words of wisdom...I will put all the advice into action.

I would add this picture to demonstrate what Bronc is talking about. Look at pic 'H' - basically what you should be looking at...

Open_sight_pictures1.jpg

I also use a PBR sight in method for my ML's - but.. I use a 6" PBR in that my bullet will never be higher than 3" nor lower than 3" in a given range as computed by a ballistic calculator.

This ballistic sheet computes and shows what I am suggesting....

Lehigh-451x230-CF-HP-120-T7.jpg

This indicates that I can shoot from 0 to 175+ yards and stay within the 3 - 3" rule. But... you really need to shoot the ranges to verify.

This thread might explain it better for you...

PBR (Point Blank Range) Scope Zero - Modern Muzzleloader

OP
T
Wow...great stuff sabotloader. I sincerely appreciate it. I can't wait to get out and shoot next week. I drew Idaho 33-1 late buck hunt this year and I'm getting excited. Just a couple more weeks and I'll get to put my Knight UL to the test. Again, many thanks for the information.