New Model 70

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
especially for those 180gr-200gr.

The 300wsm favors the 150 - 180 grain bullets. It has a short magazine. 200's might need to be seated a bit deeper in a WSM.

"Short" is a key word in the nomenclature.

have 2 M70 Featherweights, in 7-08 and 257 Roberts,

A 257 Roberts in an M70....................... I hate you. That is unless you are old, sickly, and I am in your will.

The 300wsm favors the 150 - 180 grain bullets. It has a short magazine. 200's might need to be seated a bit deeper in a WSM.

"Short" is a key word in the nomenclature.

A 257 Roberts in an M70....................... I hate you. That is unless you are old, sickly, and I am in your will.
One nice thing about M70 WSM magazines is they remove the block and you get a 3” box. The long actions on the other hand....

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
I’d choose the one that appeals to your aesthetic preferences. The barreled actions are the same weight. The WSM and magnum FWTs have sporter weight barrels. Any extra weight will be in the stock.

The difference in recoil will be negligible. I prefer the FWT stock because it lacks a cheek piece, which I prefer.
Ah good to know, thank you!

One nice thing about M70 WSM magazines is they remove the block and you get a 3” box. The long actions on the other hand....

Hell I thought the M70 WSM actions could accept nearly 3.1" so I would disagree that they favor 150-180 grain bullets especially if you can seat to nearly 3.1" COAL.

Factory seated to 2.86", sure, you start to take up too much powder space with the heavies. Precision hunter 200 ELDx factory fodder shoots great for me and some friends though.

LaGriz

WKR
+1 on a Model 70,
Check out my thread "I'm buying my grandson a rifle for graduation" His .308 is a standard featherweight and was made in Portugal by FN. We are impressed with the quality. Rifle shoots well with multiple loads and bullet weights. Best groups have been with Federal Premium 165 AB load. Check out the Maple/ Stainless version, Its a stunner. You could do much worse!

LaGriz

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Hell I thought the M70 WSM actions could accept nearly 3.1" so I would disagree that they favor 150-180 grain bullets especially if you can seat to nearly 3.1" COAL.

Factory seated to 2.86", sure, you start to take up too much powder space with the heavies. Precision hunter 200 ELDx factory fodder shoots great for me and some friends though.

That is good to know and I glady retract my previous comment.

It's one of my favorites. It used to be my muley/pronghorn rifle, until I got spoiled by a pair of Montanas, also in 7-08 and 257 Roberts. Both weigh 6# .7oz apiece all up with optics and 4 rounds.

I have a 257 Roberts in a Montana ASR that I am pretty happy with. It sat on the dealers rack for a long time with no interest, so it followed me home one day.

There is a stainless composite stock model in 7mm-08 that is still sitting on the misfit rack that may just find its way home with me. Hard to pull that trigger right now not having any brass, bullets, or dies for that caliber.

In all honesty, if I found a M70 FW (or a Montana) in 25-06 I'd snatch it on the spot.

wrightjr

FNG
I have a Supergrade maple in .308 that I picked up in March. My goal was to get an old school wood and blued rifle to hunt with occasionally and pass on to the boys since all my other rifles are tactical set ups or family heirlooms. I was very pleased with the fit/finish on it. This is my first M70 and I would buy another in a heartbeat. It shoots plain vanilla Hornady 150s well with no fuss over IMR 4064. Long winded, but suffice to say they are good solid rifles and I don't think you will regret purchasing one.

RMP

FNG
I have two Super Grades. A .270 and a .30-06. FN owns Browning and Winchester Repeating Arms. Browning's company BACO is in charge of producing Winchester guns now and they have the M70 produced in their Viana, Portugal factory. IMO, the M70s coming out of that factory are the finest rifles to ever carry the Winchester Model 70 name. They give up nothing to any M70 ever produced anywhere else, at any time. Function, accuracy, trigger, fit and finish are all top grade.

Last edited:
I have two Super Grades. A .270 and a .30-06. FN owns Browning and Winchester Repeating Arms. Browning's company BACO is in charge of producing Winchester guns now and they have the M70 produced in their Varina(sp?), Portugal factory. IMO, the M70s coming out of that factory are the finest rifles to ever carry the Winchester Model 70 name. They give up nothing to any M70 ever produced anywhere else, at any time. Function, accuracy, trigger, fit and finish are all top grade.
I'm of the same opinion about the S. Carolina guns. Two of the best firearms I've ever spent money on. I don't have any personal experience with the Portuguese guns, but I've heard nothing but great reviews. FN is the best thing that ever happened to Winchester/Browning.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
YMMV…

My M70 saga is a roughly 2018 Supergrade Maple in .30-06. It’s been a long term project for me. After replacing the barrel and trigger, it‘s about as good as a Tikka T3x with a $10 trigger spring.

My factory barrel was a 1.5 MOA shooter. If you fired enough groups, you’d see 1 MOA… or 2 MOA… but, mostly 1.5 MOA. Changing to a Bartlein barrel immediately turned it into a much more accurate gun.

Swapping the trigger was the other bit. Couldn’t find much other than Timney and no two stage options. Still better than the factory MOA, which isn’t bad other than being heavy.

The M70 is also the only action I had to tune/tweak to get running right. My extractor was something of a horror show. The feel is distinctly “utilitarian” compared to my other bolt guns.

Lastly, to my great disappointment, my M70 isn’t actually a long action. The internal box and action top out at 3.4 inches. That‘s about 3.37 for reliable feeding, and a real bummer when you need about 3.45 or so to get to the lands with hand loads.

The stock rifle was gorgeous, and some days I miss it. I still have that piece of maple. I wouldn’t buy it again, though.

25orSo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks I was curious because I want to get a M70 in 300wsm

Send me a PM. I can help you with that.

In all honesty, if I found a M70 FW (or a Montana) in 25-06 I'd snatch it on the spot.

I found one. Picked it up today. 25-06 Featherweight.

I feel like a kid a Christmas.

FN owns Browning and Winchester Repeating Arms. Browning's company BACO is in charge of producing Winchester guns now and they have the M70 produced in their Viana, Portugal factory. IMO, the M70s coming out of that factory are the finest rifles to ever carry the Winchester Model 70 name.

That is where the one I got came from. I sure hope you are right.