New mountain rifle: Kimber Adirondack 6.5 Creedmoor

After 5 years of using my Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in 300 WSM, I decided to go a bit lighter. The Winchester was a great gun with which I was able to take 3 mountain goats with. However I often mountain hunt solo and wanted to carry something that was smaller and lighter, yet still capable out to 500 yards.

When a like new Kimber Adirondack 6.5 Creedmoor came up for sale here on Rokslide from Duckpopper for a great price, I jumped on it. Initially I could not get it to group very tight. At 100, it would put 2 in around an MOA and the third would always be 2-3 inches off. At 500 yards it shot sub MOA though. So, I knew there was potential, but something needed a little work.
Thanks to Stid2677, I figured out what it needed. I used a dremel to remove a little bit off of the bottom of the blind box where it contacted the stock. I also could tell that the barrel was making contact with the fore end in a couple spots. Using some 400 grit sand paper, I smoothed out the inside of the stock, making sure that the contact marks were gone. The barrel is really light and heats up quickly. Even waiting several minutes between each shot, by the third round, the barrel was making contact and throwing off the POI.

After this work I took it back out to the range. It was dramatically better. It now shoots under MOA, even allowing only 15 seconds between shots. Now that I know its a keeper, I dis-assembled it and brought it to Paul at Alaska Hydrographics.
The old Sitka forest camo was not to my liking, plus it was rubbing off already. I decided on the new Kuiu Vias. While not a huge Kuiu fan, I do like the look of it on rifles. It blends well in the rocky alpine areas I hunt here in Alaska. While it was there I decided to have the action and barrel Cerakoted in Tungsten Gray to cut down on glare and add some durability.

It is topped with Talley light weight rings and a Leupold VX3 4.5-14 x 40 CDS. It also has the Kimber muzzle break installed. This made a noticeable reduction in muzzle jump.

Total weight is 5 lbs 14 oz.

untitled-1.jpguntitled-2.jpguntitled-5.jpg

Weekender

WKR
Awesome looking rifle...great work, should be happy for a long time. Definitely jealous of the weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
Badass lookin lil rig!

Would be nice if a $2k rifle didn't need to be putzd with to get it shooting right though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Looks great. Did you use the low or extra low Talley?

Are you going to skim bed it or call it good?

I believe they are the low Talleys. Duckpopper had them with the rifle when I picked it up. I don't think I will skim bed it. After the mods, I was more than happy with those groupings. Off of sandbags as well, no lead sled used.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Awesome looking rifle...great work, should be happy for a long time. Definitely jealous of the weight

I just finished putting it together today and I can't seem to stop going into the gear room to pick it up. : )

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Badass lookin lil rig!

Would be nice if a $2k rifle didn't need to be putzd with to get it shooting right though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Yeah I thought so as well. It was however satisfying to do some little mods, not being a gunsmith, and getting it to shoot great. However, I could see how it would be frustrating if it hadn't gone well. I'm at about $2,000 all in on it, including scope and hydro dipping/Cerakote.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
d765af8e62799c78396b2148e1e87ee5.jpg

It has already dropped a smaller Caribou in its tracks. Instant one shot kill, off hand at 80 yards, while on my Splitboard north of Fairbanks at -15f . Double lunged with Nosler 140 grain HPBT match ammo.

Great looking gun!!' I don't know much about the mag length in that rifle but you might see even better accuracy with some hand loads and Hornady 140 ELDM bullets. I run them as close to the lands as the rifle will allow. That's friggin awesome that you got it shooting!!

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Yeah I don't hand load. I'd rather spend time out in the mountains or training. So for me personally, I find a factory load that works and stick with that. The ELDX 143's shot pretty good, but the Nosler Match were just a bit better. That was before I did the work on it though, so I'm sure the Hornady ammo will be better than the results I got before. I've been wanting to try the ELDM as well though.

Yeah I don't hand load. I'd rather spend time out in the mountains or training. So for me personally, I find a factory load that works and stick with that. The ELDX 143's shot pretty good, but the Nosler Match were just a bit better. That was before I did the work on it though, so I'm sure the Hornady ammo will be better than the results I got before. I've been wanting to try the ELDM as well though.

Thae factory 147 eldx might be a heck of a bullet to use but I've heard mixed results with accuracy. My Howa 6.5 Creedmoor shot about 1 MOA with the factory 140 ELDM bullets. With handloads I achieved .2 - .3 MOA!!
I believe Federal Premium is no factory loading the 140 Berger Hybrids. That would be another great factory ammo to try. I say that as just a suggestion. You're getting good results with the Nosler's!

Ronb

WKR
I tried the lows on my Kimber Montana with the leupy vx3i 3-10x40 and it wasn't gonna happen. I'm sure those are medium.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Thae factory 147 eldx might be a heck of a bullet to use but I've heard mixed results with accuracy. My Howa 6.5 Creedmoor shot about 1 MOA with the factory 140 ELDM bullets. With handloads I achieved .2 - .3 MOA!!
I believe Federal Premium is no factory loading the 140 Berger Hybrids. That would be another great factory ammo to try. I say that as just a suggestion. You're getting good results with the Nosler's!

I will definitely look at those 147's, especially if I decide to go after another mountain goat.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I tried the lows on my Kimber Montana with the leupy vx3i 3-10x40 and it wasn't gonna happen. I'm sure those are medium.

Could be, however I used this scope with low talleys on my Winchester model 70 EW and it had the same clearance as this one does.
3d926260a9e78875f20edb6cdd359741.jpg

luke moffat

Super Moderator

The 147 are the match eldm not the eldx. Not completely sure of the difference other than the eldx bullet having a locking ring like an interlock, but I would be more inclined to use the 143 eldx rather than the 147 eldm on game.