New MT Mule Deer Rifle Season

From what I observed this year in MT it definitely needs to happen. Could even break down the general tag into regions with only a certain number of tags per region. Make a limited quota tag valid Nov1-Nov20 or something like that also.

brockel

WKR
Would love it if mule deer would go to a draw completely. I’d settle for general being only good in October with a VERY limited draw for a rut hunt. Eliminate the muzzleloader season all together (which will run to Christmas Eve this year). No reason those muzzleloaders can’t be used during the general season

mt100gr.

WKR
As much as I love hunting them in the snow and cold when they're chasing hard and actually visible, I agree that hunting during the rut should be very limited (if not closed). The mountain deer that I hunt are in decline. Lots of factors in play and the additive mortality of hunting them when they're vulnerable is taking its toll.

Legend

WKR
There are propsed reg changes that will be voted on this Friday that will reduce mule deer hunting by 2 weeks. This is only for a handful of districts in region 2 but if it gets approved other regions may follow.

huck

Lil-Rokslider
they always said mt is a mule deer factory . that said, use up all the parts the factory dont run.

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Thats gonna mean alot more restrictions on hunter opportunity. And Montana FWP doesnt manage for herd health and definitely not for trophy in 90% of the state. This will cause some serious dissention between residents and NR. Which is already starting to be a big deal. Eastern Montana is being run over with NR mule deer hunters especially WA state. Its been talked about heavily here the last several years. I think reducing 2 weeks would maybe fly, Oct 31 will cause a war.

ianpadron

WKR
10/31 would be OK only if the season started 10/1. Didn't see a single hunter up high early this year, late season is a pumpkin patch in the valleys.

I do think most districts should follow many of the unit 1 districts and shorten the season by 2 weeks, with a few permits for those late Nov. hunts.

That said, the cougars and wolves are doing more damage than hunting, and once you wish your season away, you aren't getting it back.

There are propsed reg changes that will be voted on this Friday that will reduce mule deer hunting by 2 weeks. This is only for a handful of districts in region 2 but if it gets approved other regions may follow.
I am moving there in August and from what I have seen, and hearing agree. It definitely seems they manage for opportunity and not any trophy quality with the exception of a unit here and there. I would be all for a few select units be rut hunts but only backed by solid data not hunches.

hobbes

WKR
There is nothing Montana needs more than for nonresidents that aren't happy with their MT hunting experience to make recommendations on how our seasons should be structured. Yeah, I suspect there will be some changes at some point, but damned if I'm voting to give up opportunity as a resident to make sure the hoards of nonresident hunters that ran me over in September and November have a better experience.

I've argued to keep nonresident hunting opportunities, especially the public land hunter, in the past. However, when you guys start feeling like somehow it's your right to dictate how Montana manages it's hunts, to make sure it meets your expectations, my concern for your opportunity disappears pretty quick. My vote is to cut nonresidents to 2 weeks in October before taking any opportunity from residents.

I moved here myself, so can't fault anyone for wanting to move or hunt here. However, Montana has rubbed off on me in the last 10 years. Take the following as friendly advice. If you want to make friends fast, show up in Montana and start recommending changes as a newcomer or as a nonresident hunter. Better yet, keep your nonresident plates on while doing it to make friends even faster.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
There is nothing Montana needs more than for nonresidents that aren't happy with their MT hunting experience to make recommendations on how our seasons should be structured. Yeah, I suspect there will be some changes at some point, but damned if I'm voting to give up opportunity as a resident to make sure the hoards of nonresident hunters that ran me over in September and November have a better experience.

I've argued to keep nonresident hunting opportunities, especially the public land hunter, in the past. However, when you guys start feeling like somehow it's your right to dictate how Montana manages it's hunts, to make sure it meets your expectations, my concern for your opportunity disappears pretty quick. My vote is to cut nonresidents to 2 weeks in October before taking any opportunity from residents.

I moved here myself, so can't fault anyone for wanting to. However, Montana has rubbed off on me in the last 10 years. Take the following as friendly advice. If you want to make friends fast, show up in Montana and start recommending changes as a newcomer or as a nonresident hunter. Better yet, keep your nonresident plates on while doing it to make friends even faster.
We are not all like that. I sincerely appreciate standing up for opportunity.

It’s not only happening in Montana but all over. He who cries the loudest gets heard unfortunately. Personally I like to see animals managed by healthy herds. The herds not healthy? Limit tags or time. People pushing to make their experience better at the expense of others pisses me off

Edited to add more

S.Clancy

WKR
I see about a 0.5% chance of mule deer seasons changing in the next 5 yrs. In all honesty, seasons arent causing our mule deer to decrease. The real issues are habitat and elk/whitetail competition. And given our current legislature/governor situation here there is no way they are doing anything that may decrease business to outfitting operations, which season structure would definitely do.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
We are not all like that. I sincerely appreciate standing up for opportunity.

It’s not only happening in Montana but all over. He who cries the loudest gets heard unfortunately. Personally I like to see animals managed by healthy herds. The herds not healthy? Limit tags or time. People pushing to make their experience better at the expense of others pisses me off

Edited to add more

Except for the NW, the herds are just fine. All the people that want to shorten the rifle season are only doing so because they believe they have right to “bigger” bucks close to roads. Why MT needs to turn into every other state with limiting opportunity is beyond me. MT greatly needs to cut back or stop antelope hunting for a few years, but deer for the vast majority of the state? No.

Lawnboi

WKR
Except for the NW, the herds are just fine. All the people that want to shorten the rifle season are only doing so because they believe they have right to “bigger” bucks close to roads. Why MT needs to turn into every other state with limiting opportunity is beyond me. MT greatly needs to cut back or stop antelope hunting for a few years, but deer for the vast majority of the state? No.
Iv yet to experience all of Montana but I had no problem finding deer, that said I havnt been to the nw corner.

Totally agree. It’s happening everywhere. Pressure is increasing everywhere. Accessible and affordable land is decreasing everywhere. People want to limit opportunity only to make their experience better.

Fwiw I enjoy Montana’s long season because it allows me the opportunity to get out. I’m not a rich man, and at times I cannot get a certain week or two off. To see opportunity go down whether it time or tags for any reason other than a herd that is below goals is bullshit.

Reactions: pk_

jpmulk

WKR
100% on board with shortening the mule deer season. I do think the rut hunt destroys trophy potential in the state. And if we get rid of the rut hunt, people will actually have to learn how to hunt big bucks instead of wandering around waiting for a rutting buck to just step out.

I moved here myself, so can't fault anyone for wanting to move or hunt here. However, Montana has rubbed off on me in the last 10 years. Take the following as friendly advice. If you want to make friends fast, show up in Montana and start recommending changes as a newcomer or as a nonresident hunter. Better yet, keep your nonresident plates on while doing it to make friends even faster.
Wish I could like this post twice... as a lifelong Montanan - it was crazy this fall.

Sioux33

FNG
As a MT resident, I'd like to see rifle season end by at least the first week of November and keep it archery only for the remainder of the season. The current season is just crushing the mule deer on public land. I know of a large BMA ranch owner in eastern MT that told me there were 30 4x4 muleys taken alone during the Thanksgiving week, that's 1 week! This was the worst season I've ever season for numbers and age class and with guys sniping rut crazed bucks from 1,000+ yards nowadays, I don't see it getting any better unless changes are made.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
As a MT resident, I'd like to see rifle season end by at least the first week of November and keep it archery only for the remainder of the season. The current season is just crushing the mule deer on public land. I know of a large BMA ranch owner in eastern MT that told me there were 30 4x4 muleys taken alone during the Thanksgiving week, that's 1 week! This was the worst season I've ever season for numbers and age class and with guys sniping rut crazed bucks from 1,000+ yards nowadays, I don't see it getting any better unless changes are made.

Why do you believe it’s a problem that people shoot 4x4’s? Why do you believe you have a “right” to “big” bucks. Why does big bucks equal herd health to you?